Xbox One System-on-Chip packs more transistors than Tahiti GPU

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft took the stage at the recent Hot Chips conference to dish out a little more dirt on the SoC that will power the Xbox One. While we’ve known for some time that the console will use a custom-designed AMD SoC with eight Jaguar CPU cores and integrated graphics, many of the fine details remained a mystery – until now.

As it turns out, the GPU inside the Xbox One is very similar to the Tahiti GPU that powers the Radeon HD 7970 in terms of sheer die size. Both components are built on a 28-nanometer process by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company. The Xbox One SoC is 363 mm² and contains five billion transistors while the Tahiti counterpart is 365 mm² in size and packs 4.3 billion transistors.

xbox soc amd tahiti xbox one

That information alone smashes some previous rumblings that the Xbox One’s SoC could be the largest chip ever produced. For reference, Nvidia’s GK110 GPU is loaded with 7.1 billion transistors and is 551 mm².  It won’t set any size records but it should still be rather impressive.

Microsoft also pointed out during the presentation that the chip will contain 47MB of internal storage. Elsewhere, the Xbox One will use DDR3 system memory instead of higher bandwidth GDDR5 that Sony is using in the PlayStation 4.

Microsoft will offset this decision by using some fast eSRAM on the SoC die, a move that isn’t uncommon for them as they essentially did the same thing with the Xbox 360. It’s also similar to what Intel did with Haswell by adding 128MB of eDRAM on the GT3e package as L4 cache. This helped them overcome bandwidth limitations of the CPU socket and provide some very impressive performance with regard to integrated graphics.

Permalink to story.

In before YeahButThePS4WillBeLikeWAYBetterBecauseISaidSo! arguments.

(sorry)

So do we know enough about the specs now to put together a list of materials to see if this thing is a decent value and/or being sold for less than buying the components individually?

The value for both systems will come with the services. That is the new war for the graphics pushers.

Now that Nintendo has not set the tone for this generation loud enough that it would take either MS or Sony years to play catch-up... we now have to rely on the two gorilla's to do something interesting. It will be a battle of software services and digital downloads, and interfaces with our mobile devices.

That article was worded in a quite misleading way ("the GPU inside the Xbox One is very similar to the Tahiti GPU"). The Xbox One APU will not get anywhere near Tahiti in graphics performance. The former is a chip with 768 stream processors and 48 TMUs, while Tahiti is a much larger GPU with up to 2048 stream processors and 128 TMUs. It means 166% higher floating-point performance over the Xbox One GPU at the same frequency (add to that the fact that the HD 7970 series run at higher frequencies).
It should be made clear that the die size is similar to Tahiti due to the CPU cores, integrated memory and other such structures (which Tahiti, a standalone GPU, doesn't have). That does NOT mean their graphics performance are similar.
Other than that, the article is great. I just think it's important to avoid confusion.

I agree 1000%, the article makes no mention of the transistor count the 8 CPU cores take up; as if they dont account for any transistors at all. Pretty lousy and one-angled from that perspective.

Well Microsoft need to get some good advertising out, they obviously thought this was the way, disregarding the fact it was aimed at people like us who actually understand the specifications and know the transistor count isn't everything.

Since nothing has been mentioned, the PS4's graphics capability's are below:
32 ROPs
1152 Stream Processors
25.6 Gigapixel/sec

That's considerably higher and something at least first party game devs will take advantage of, I do fear multiplatform games won't take advantage of the higher spec though, I guess Ubisoft games will but I doubt EA games will.

Bah. These marketing chumps will jump on any advantage they see. It all means very little in reality but it helps impress & convince the lesser informed & not so tech types, they love big numbers and the bigger the better.

Burty
As far as I remember PS3 had much more horsepower under its hood, yet we know who ended up winning the last round of console wars. So, this time around, I do not see this changing by much anyway.

Secondly, I think the lower spec console is what generally developers will use as their template for their offerings, hence, reinforcing my first argument.

Lastly, it is all about services, and in this area Sony isn't going to be much of a threat to XO.

An interesting read just in case: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/7-reasons-the-xbox-one-is-better-than-the-ps4

With the PS4 and XB1 so close performance wise, I feel the war winner between the two is held within the hands of the game developer. I'd rather continue playing a few games from the 90's, than some of the titles that are put out today.

Burty
As far as I remember PS3 had much more horsepower under its hood, yet we know who ended up winning the last round of console wars.
Who ended up winning the last round of console wars? The first xbox 360 was a piece of junk that forced consumers to buy a 2nd and sometimes 3rd console. It wasn't until a re-design that it became reliable.
As far as overall lifetime worldwide sales, the PS3 has sold more.
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250980/playstation-3-lifetime-sales-overtakes-the-xbox-360/

Burty
As far as I remember PS3 had much more horsepower under its hood, yet we know who ended up winning the last round of console wars. So, this time around, I do not see this changing by much anyway.

Secondly, I think the lower spec console is what generally developers will use as their template for their offerings, hence, reinforcing my first argument.

Lastly, it is all about services, and in this area Sony isn't going to be much of a threat to XO.

An interesting read just in case: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/7-reasons-the-xbox-one-is-better-than-the-ps4

Aren't you the same guy who told me the Wii U is "on-par" spec wise with the next gen before they were even released?

Anyway comparing it to the PS3 is irrelevant, totally different architectures and this time round the PS4 has the easier architecture to code for. I would also like to draw your attention to the raft of Sony First Party games released that took advantage of the consoles power, The Last of Us and Killzone 2/3 were just graphical marvels for a console and pretty damn good games at that.

This time round however, the PS4 could seriously get decent third party support since it is going to be easier to code for.

Services will not be the deciding factor, plenty of people out there will go for the lower priced, better spec'ed and better first party games PS4 than the over priced, forced kinect and most features don't work without some kind of subscription & Geographically, a lot of stuff only works in the US.

As long as the PS4 does the normal, multiple streaming services and the like it is a perfectly awesome GAMES CONSOLE, the Xbox is a media machine in America and everywhere else its just a bad console.

I also don't want to even hear an argument about First Party games, It's completely opinion based, I owned an Xbox 360 since launch, last 2 years I've not really turned it on, only got myself a PS3 last week and so far the first party games are of better quality, or at least, personally I feel so.

Burty117, that isn't something that necessarily needs to be taken advantage of. Both consoles use the exact same GPU microarchitecture. If developers don't take advantage of the additional resources in the PS4 with higher graphics settings (that is, they use the same visual quality as the Xbox One), that will automatically result in higher framerates on the PS4.

Will there be ever a time when Xbox pc and PS will be able to play games chat share etc together. I'm probably aiming more to ps4 but be waiting a while 1st and would like to see who has best connectivity options to PC/mobile/nas/social etc.

That article was worded in a quite misleading way ("the GPU inside the Xbox One is very similar to the Tahiti GPU"). The Xbox One APU will not get anywhere near Tahiti in graphics performance... It should be made clear that the die size is similar to Tahiti due to the CPU cores, integrated memory and other such structures (which Tahiti, a standalone GPU, doesn't have). That does NOT mean their graphics performance are similar.
Other than that, the article is great. I just think it's important to avoid confusion.

Perhaps they meant architecturally... but you make a great point, could mislead a lot of people. We should take much of what we read with a grain of salt anyhow.

How would a console using GDDR5 for system memory be easier to code for over a console using DDR3?

Xbox One has EDRAM to make-up for the bandwidth loss, but this would need to be accounted for and managed effectively code wise to make efficient use of it.

Xbox One has EDRAM to make-up for the bandwidth loss, but this would need to be accounted for and managed effectively code wise to make efficient use of it.

Developers have experience with coding for eDRAM on the 360 already. GDDR5 is totally new. And why would a console need that much system bandwidth before the PC? I think it may make things simpler, but at the same time, I think they are compensating for something by using it (on the PS4).

Burty
As far as I remember PS3 had much more horsepower under its hood, yet we know who ended up winning the last round of console wars.
Who ended up winning the last round of console wars? The first xbox 360 was a piece of junk that forced consumers to buy a 2nd and sometimes 3rd console. It wasn't until a re-design that is became reliable.
As far as overall liftime worldwide sales, the PS3 has sold more.
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250980/playstation-3-lifetime-sales-overtakes-the-xbox-360/
The consumers used warranty a couple times, yeah. But the PS3 also had it's bad apples. I personally am still on my first 360..
As for who won the last round of the console wars? It was as Burty said, the 360. Compare the marketshare from the original Xbox and the PS2 to the 360 and the PS3. They stole most of that in 1 generation. It was expected that the PS3 would come out on top (it kinda has in the long run), but it got dominated otherwise...

M4a4, Absolutely, Xbox 360 won this Generation regardless of console sales because PlayStation only just caught up this year and cross-platform games generally suffered majorly on the PS3 for the first few years.

But now that game devs are getting good at coding for the PS3 and it has a really good line up of first party games the PS3 is starting to shine, just a shame its too late! But still, for the price of the console now it's worth a purchase.

I don't think Sony was expecting Microsoft to come out like it did this Gen though, this time round Sony are sticking to their guns and making a fantastic gaming console and spent years talking to devs to make the PS4 easy to develop for and they've concentrated on the architecture in particular, Microsoft seem to have concentrated on Kinect and adding more features.

I wouldn't and I don't think a lot of people would mind this if the price was lower than the PS4's considering it's core architecture is considerably cheaper than the PS4's but it's not, it's kinda doing what the PS3 did when it launched, adding some new tech at a high price point, difference is, the Xbox doesn't have a performance advantage waiting to be unlocked over the PS4 and the Kinect is seen by 75% of people as useless, I came up with 75% based on how many Kinect's sold last gen, 24 million, compared to the Xbox 360's sales figures, which stands at nearly 80 million.

The consumers used warranty a couple times, yeah. But the PS3 also had it's bad apples. ...
There were so many faulty first gen 360's I think that console went down as one of the worst built systems of all time, if not the worst.
Comparing the PS3 to the Xbox from a reliability standpoint makes the 360 look really really bad, so stop trying to make this a legit comparison.
As for who won the last round of the console wars? It was as Burty said, the 360.It was expected that the PS3 would come out on top (it kinda has in the long run), but it got dominated otherwise...
Your making constrasting statements.
Microsoft expended a lot of time and money fixing consoles. In cheesy fingers America xbox kiddies wanted thier Halo so for that reason alone the 360 sold very well, not to mention the original xbox was a huge hit so this carried over a large part of the market. Even so the PS3 has been by no means dominated by anything and is the leading selling console world wide. The PS3 had crappy launch titles, a huge launch price tag, a tacky interface compared to the 360's "console for dummies/kids" approach, and tougher to program-for hardware and it still did ok.

Personally I have no allegience with either since I own both, and from a core gaming/following standpoint in America the 360 is top dog, but there are many more factors to consider as well is all I am saying.

Back