Xbox One wireless controller adapter requires Windows 10

Scorpus

Staff member

xbox windows microsoft xbox one wireless controller wireless adapter xbox controller

Yesterday, Microsoft announced an adapter that allows you to use an Xbox One Wireless Controller with a PC. The adapter is coming this fall for $24.99, or $79.95 when bundled with a Wireless Controller.

In Microsoft's press release announcing the adapter, the company stated that the dongle lets you "enjoy the freedom and convenience of the wireless controller on Windows 10 PCs, laptops, and tablets." Curiously, there was no mention of any of Microsoft's previous operating systems, hinting that the adapter will only work with Windows 10.

As it turns out, that's exactly the case. A Microsoft representative speaking to Polygon has revealed that the Xbox One Wireless Adapter for Windows will only support Windows 10. Some clever modders will likely be able to get the dongle working with older operating systems, but at launch, the adapter will only come with Windows 10 drivers.

Luckily, most gamers are running a version of Windows that is eligible for Microsoft's free upgrade to Windows 10. The latest Steam hardware and software survey shows that 56.7% of gamers are running Windows 7 and 30.8% are running Windows 8.1, while less than 8% of gamers are running an OS ineligible for the free upgrade.

Considering Windows 10 is also the only operating system that will support DirectX 12, is likely that most gamers will end up upgrading to Windows to gain access to the new low-level API. As an added bonus, Microsoft's Xbox One Wireless Adapter will also end up being supported after the upgrade.

Permalink to story.

Pathetic excuse of forced obsolescence. Since Mantle has no problem with Win 7 I wanna hear M$ excuse why DX12 is Win 10 only? "Some clever modders will likely be able to get the DX12 working with older operating systems, but at launch, the API will only come with Windows 10." ;-)

What I'm wondering is if my Razer Atrox Fightstick for Xbox One will now fully work on Windows. Currently 2 buttons aren't working because Windows 8.1 doesn't support it.

It seems it doesn't work with previous Xbox 360 controllers, so if you want to use the 360 controller along with this the two adapters are needed. I wonder if they can detect one another so each one has its proper light indicator to tell the number of the game pad

Microsoft really can go F themselves over this one, not that I would have ever wasted money on an Xbone controller in the first place, but this is just downright sad. Here's hoping that modders break this in the first week. Despite Windows 10 allegedly being a free upgrade, something I'm still skeptical about, this is still a horrible move from MS.

Microsoft really can go F themselves over this one, not that I would have ever wasted money on an Xbone controller in the first place, but this is just downright sad. Here's hoping that modders break this in the first week. Despite Windows 10 allegedly being a free upgrade, something I'm still skeptical about, this is still a horrible move from MS.

ummm......It is free for a year and they have already released the pricing for it after a year. Nothing to be skeptical about.

They're really pushing for people to upgrade to Windows 10. In one way, I completely understand it... but I don't like the way they're going about it. All these dirty, little tricks sour the relationship between Microsoft and their customers.

Still using my trusty ps3 controller with Xinput wrapper M$hit can go **** themselves

Price is a bit steep for what it is, would be interested in cost price of this compared to retail.

Man, too many people complaining. Either plug your controller in (like you've probably been doing thus far), wait for the driver to be adapted to older OS's, or just upgrade to Windows 10. I have yet to see a reason not to upgrade....
They haven't released the wireless adapter since release (of course with complaints), now that they do they get even more complaints....

Bad move from Microsoft. I think the community will hack the drivers or develop new ones to work with earlier versions soon enough.

Man, too many people complaining. Either plug your controller in (like you've probably been doing thus far), wait for the driver to be adapted to older OS's, or just upgrade to Windows 10. I have yet to see a reason not to upgrade....
They haven't released the wireless adapter since release (of course with complaints), now that they do they get even more complaints....

I've yet to see a single reason TO upgrade. Seriously, name one that actually matters to the average user.

I've yet to see a single reason TO upgrade. Seriously, name one that actually matters to the average user.
DX12

I've yet to see a single reason TO upgrade. Seriously said:
First decent AAA titles properly utilising it are some two years away. First devs declaring they dropping support for DX11 - right after next generation of consoles coming out, some 5 years from now. First unofficial hacks allowing to use DX12 on Win7/8 - who knows, maybe by the end of this year?

I want this. It's so much better than the 360 wireless dongle. I have top panel usb ports (600T case), so I don't even remove the twist tie from its cable when I use it. It looks hideous!

The question is, can this new wireless dongle work with last gens 360 wireless controller?

They're really pushing for people to upgrade to Windows 10. In one way, I completely understand it... but I don't like the way they're going about it. All these dirty, little tricks sour the relationship between Microsoft and their customers.

Dirty would be not making 360 controller for windows drivers for W10. No one is forcing you to buy this new controller last time I checked.

I want this. It's so much better than the 360 wireless dongle. I have top panel usb ports (600T case), so I don't even remove the twist tie from its cable when I use it. It looks hideous!

The question is, can this new wireless dongle work with last gens 360 wireless controller?

Why not just plug it in to the back where you can't see it? I have mine tuck in to my desk, can hardly see it.

Can you use the old 360 controllers on a Xbox One? Then you can bet your *** M$ hasn't changed their tune for the PC adapter.

Straight off of Xbox One Compatibility FAQ

Can I use my Xbox 360 controllers or accessories with Xbox One (or vice versa)?

No. Controllers and accessories that work with Xbox 360 won't work with Xbox One (and vice versa).

Why not just plug it in to the back where you can't see it? I have mine tuck in to my desk, can hardly see it.

Can you use the old 360 controllers on a Xbox One? Then you can bet your *** M$ hasn't changed their tune for the PC adapter.

No. Controllers and accessories that work with Xbox 360 won't work with Xbox One (and vice versa).

I don't want wireless adapter plugged in at all times.

I'll just buy the new adapter and controller combo.

Last edited:
It's free :p

But in all seriousness, that plus serious desktop user love is more than enough for me to upgrade from 8.1...

Still using my trusty ps3 controller with Xinput wrapper M$hit can go **** themselves
Here here. I'm using x360ce emulator for a generic gamepad.M$ have game developers in pocket so if they do support gamepad it's typically Xbox 360.Which is a fine controller(I own two of them) but I prefer my generic gamepad for race sims.

I don't want wireless adapter plugged in at all times.

I'm not asking about using my 360 controller with a console. I'm asking if it can be used with the new wireless PC adapter. If it doesn't then I'll just buy the new adapter and controller combo.
Why would you want to disconnect and connect it all the time? I mean it is tiny and takes up almost no space, no real reason to unplug it at all.

What I'm wondering is if my Razer Atrox Fightstick for Xbox One will now fully work on Windows. Currently 2 buttons aren't working because Windows 8.1 doesn't support it.

my atrox doesnt work at all @ the current win10-build, even after manually installing the pad-driver - a standard xb1-gamepad works though. I'm hoping for a fix asap ;)

my atrox doesnt work at all @ the current win10-build, even after manually installing the pad-driver - a standard xb1-gamepad works though. I'm hoping for a fix asap ;)
Same man. It really sucks. Currently I'm looking into Tri modding my stick just to make it work.

You wouldn't think it to be that hard to get a Fight Stick compatible with windows.

I honestly dont understand why razer didnt just use the hardware of a xb1-pad so it just gets recognised as a pad. all we can hope for is either microsoft is generalizing their gamepad-driver to work with our atrox, or razer has to work on their own driver.

I honestly dont understand why razer didnt just use the hardware of a xb1-pad so it just gets recognised as a pad. all we can hope for is either microsoft is generalizing their gamepad-driver to work with our atrox, or razer has to work on their own driver.
Same man. I was even looking if it is possible to write something that will make the Atrox One work, but no success :(

Back