XBOX360 Backwards Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

skitzo_zac

Can the more expensive packaged 360 play all original xbox games or only a select few or what. Can someone direct me to a link that shows this list if it exists.

Because the hardware is very different. MS had to get a license to allow ATI hardware to run nVidia code in the first place & now it's a matter or writing patches that get downloaded to the hard drice right before launching the original xbox game.

It's more or less an emulator yes but it's done automatically. When you launch the game, the console will look for a patch on the HDD, if not present it will download one (if available) otherwise it'll just tell you that it cannot run the game.

Wow, thats really cheap of Microsoft, to make a system that isnt backwards compatable, come on people were not going to a new format here when Nintendo went from 64 to Gamecube, theres no excuse to not make a backwards compatable system unless your going to a New Media Format like Carts to DVD, Heck Even Nintendo went out of their way to make ALL the Gameboys backwards compatable, and the only thing Nintendo has going for them is Mario and Zelda and from the looks of the recent Mario games its only gonna be Zelda here soon, I wonder how long it will be before they go the path of Sega and become 100% game development, I think the Revolution is gonna decide that though. (bloody tv remotes werent ment for gaming enough said)

The new chip in the xbox 360 runs one operation at a time, unlike the old chip, that's why an emulator is needed. The reason it is that way is because microsoft sacrificed full backwords compatibility for a faster 3 core chip.

This has nothing to do wid backwards compatability bo so.............
if ati has crossfire y doesnt the 360 have two gpu's in it? or does it and im just stupid?

First of all, the new tech 360 uses DOES have to do with backwards compatibility. When games are programmed, there is alot of customization according to the hardware they are using, so when the hardware changes, it causes problems. They already have hundreds of games working, and aim to get them all. The 360 uses a custom 500 MHz ATI Xenos, with 10 MB embedded DRAM (256GB/s). Im sure there are many reasons they didnt go with a crossfire setup, but a few could be that crossfire was very new when they released the 360, and their were some resolution problems with 1st gen crossfire (if I remember correctly). Id guess MS had the option for it, but I'm glad they didn't try what would likely have caused more problems. Be glad they are at least trying, where as Nintendo's new DS will have no backwards compatibility, as the same with the new PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back