XBOXLIVE I needNEWcableNET but what does Mps MEAN???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok im a XBOXlive man now but ive been playing from my computer wich is getting wireless internet from the living room... ok MY wireless adapter recieves a connection of 54mps OK but I wanna sign up for my own cable internet into my room ...but when I read the connection is 3mps ...now is that better or worse then a 56mps from my wireless so im COMPLETELY confused ...what is Mps and why does my wireless adapter recieve a 54mps connection ...but if I get a direct cable internet into my room its a 3mps connection. Im new to this fast stuff I understand the diffrence between 30k and 56k ...but this Mps stuff is loosin me....will me getting my own connection be faster tehn what I have now THATS MY ? pleeeeez help me.

my computer is a VAIO-RC210G
with a ethernet cable plug in the back...if that helps.
does braodband and cable come in the form of a ethernet cable...

It's not Mps, it's either
MBS or MBPS: MegaBytes per Second
Mbs or Mbps: Megabits per Second <<== this is the one to use

See this easy info on wireless networks: http://www.homenethelp.com/802.11b/index.asp
and scroll down to How fast is it (real world)?

To find out what's faster in your house, find out how fast the connection is, that now comes into your livingroom (from the family's ISP). That signal will be anywhere between 1Mbps (Megabits) to 8Mbps and is called broadband.

Within a (home-)network (i.e. between 2 PCs) the speed can be considerably faster, up to 1Gbps (Gigabit = 1000 Megabit), but normally it is either 10Mbps or 100Mbps on wired networks, and 54Mbps on wireless networks.
However, the above is all theory.
If your ISP gives you 3Mbps, that will not become magically 54Mbps once you put it on your home network! It will still be maximum 3Mbps only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back