TechSpot

XFX Geforce 6600 GT 256mb Vs XFX GeForce 6800XT 256MB: Is it worth the upgrade?

By Cpt_Subtext
Dec 1, 2006
  1. Basically I maybe able to repair my current PC by replacing the mobo, if thats all the problem is but I was thinking of upgrading my graphics card aswell to squeeze all the life out of the old girl that I can before passing my current rig on to my nephew or whatever..........

Its a Socket A mobo with a Amd athlon xp 3000 processor and the 6800 XT is only about £80 and I wonder if its actually worth buying due to the potential of it bottlenecking????? or just sticking with what ive got for a few months? the money really isnt a problem.....

2. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,273

Hmm what PSU ( watt ) do you have? Also your processor will run good with a 6800 since it's not a high-end card like that 7 series

So this computer is ganna be given to you nephew? That's cool :D

Videocard specs 6600:
    Memory

Memory Clock: 1000 MHz (effective)
    Memory Size: 256MB
    Memory Interface: 128-bit
    Memory Type: DDR3

Features

CineFX 3.0 Engine
    UltraShadow II Technology
    Intellisample 3.0 Technology
    nView Multi-Display Technology
    Digital Vibrance Control 3.0 Technology

Videocard specs 6800:
    Memory

Memory Clock: 600 MHz (effective)
    Memory Size: 256MB
    Memory Interface: 256-bit
    Memory Type: DDR3

Features

CineFX 3.0 Engine
    UltraShadow II Technology
    Intellisample 3.0 Technology

If you look at the specs you could see that the 6600 has a higher MemClock speed and has more features then the 6800 but, the 6600 has a lower Mem Interface ( 128 vs. 256 bits ) so they are both very good cards so it's up to you :)

3. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

The 6800XT is a much better card over the 6600GT, but your system could also use a bump up to a Gig of ram. What games do you mainly play? I am assuming we are talking about FPS games?

With a 6800XT and a gig of ram, your system will last you a while longer yet, but... not too much longer ;)

As TimeParadox mentions above, just make sure your PSU is up to the task of the new card.

4. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,377

5. TimeParadoX

Yeah Vegasgmc, the 6800s are great but if they both have 128bits then they are no diffrent from each other

But still the 6600s have a better clock speed then the 6800s ( from the ones I seen )

6. Cpt_Subtext

Cpt_Subtext TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 257

My current system other than the dead mobo

600w PSU (Cheap and cheerfull, only bought to rule out a dead PSU)
    AMD Athlon XP3000
    (Dead) Abit NF7sG2 mobo
    2gb Corsair XMS3200 DDR SDRAM Xtreme...
    XFX Geforce 6600 GT

not a bad machine despite its age when its working ;)

Figured once I find out for definate what the problem is and repair/upgrade it would make a great gift to my nephew and brother in law or something....

Oh and yes its mainly used to play FPS games, Far Cry, Doom, Cod 2 etc etc

7. TimeParadoX

Awesome, Why dont you just build a computer for your nephew and add all these crazy neons and have explosions and machine guns flying out then have a chicken ( have you played Counterstrike as a chicken? :D ) with a knife

8. Cpt_Subtext

Has someone been smoking something he shouldnt? ;) lol j/k

9. TimeParadoX

:haha: shhh ;)

10. Cpt_Subtext

See as soon as you said have I ever been a chicken with a knife you kinda gave the game away! :)

The last time someone said anything like that to me was my best friend chasing me round a dining table in Amsterdam spouting some scary jibberish about a dog he wanted to create called A K9 - 47 with machine guns for eyes.... Ahhhhh Amsterdamn :D lol

However I do not condone the use of illeagal substances in anyway shape or form!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.