XFX 7900GS or EVGA 7900GS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

agi_shi

Old XFX said:
XFX 7900GS - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150208
-$179.99
-$ 40.00 rebate (how's XFX with their rebates?)
-450MHz core
-1320MHz mem
-Heatsink *seems* to cover vram
-Extremely cool-looking
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XFX 7900GS - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150202
-$185.99
-$ 30.00 rebate (again, how is XFX with their rebates?)
-525MHz core
-1550MHz mem
-No ramsinks
-Extremely cool-looking

-OR-

EVGA 7900GS - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130056
-$179.99
-$ 20.00 rebate (hows EVGA with their rebates?)
-500MHz core
-1380MHz mem
-Heatsink doesnt directly cover vram, customer says foam is used on vram
-O.K. looking

Well, which one and WHY?

I'm personally leaning towards the XFX one because of it's sweeter rebate ;) and it's good looks, but PLEASE tell me which one you think is better (and is more honarable and better at rebates).

*** Between the new XFX I posted and the old EVGA, which would be better =)?

It (XFX) may look better, but it has slightly lower specs (barely enough to notice much of a difference). I would go with EVGA, mainly because I trust them (I have had 2 cards from them). Even if you're overclocking, most of the time, you replace the stock heatsink, so that isn't much of a problem.

I just ordered my new system yesterday, and I went with eVga parts. It will be my first time using them. I have been a great fan of asus for many years, but I am going to make the move to the eVga camp based on the consistently great reviews they receive from their current users and their reputation for customer support.

cfitzarl said:
It (XFX) may look better, but it has slightly lower specs (barely enough to notice much of a difference). I would go with EVGA, mainly because I trust them (I have had 2 cards from them).
Yes, it does have a bit lower specs... :/ Though, 50MHz on the core and 30MHz on the ram shouldn't make that much of a diff., should it?

Anyways, any others wanna vote?

DonNagual said:
I just ordered my new system yesterday, and I went with eVga parts. It will be my first time using them. I have been a great fan of asus for many years, but I am going to make the move to the eVga camp based on the consistently great reviews they receive from their current users and their reputation for customer support.

Yes, they have good customer service (at least when I called with my old GeForce 6200). I spoke to someone who knew what they were doing and were clear.

cfitzarl said:
Yes, they have good customer service (at least when I called with my old GeForce 6200). I spoke to someone who knew what they were doing and were clear.
Ahh, then EVGA it is. I hate it when someone answers who doesn't know what they're doing.

Oh and uhh.... that 7900GS KO you have there in your sig. by any chance the same one I linked to =)? How's it's performance?

agi_shi said:
Ahh, then EVGA it is. I hate it when someone answers who doesn't know what they're doing.

Oh and uhh.... that 7900GS KO you have there in your sig. by any chance the same one I linked to =)? How's it's performance?

I'll know on Christmas Day :blackeye: . From the benchmarks I have read, it is quite good. It also comes with Hitman: Blood Money (maybe not now though)!

My vote goes fo eVGA for the links you provided. Overall, I have no preference over the two, but for the particular two you presented to us, the 7900GS eVGA is the way to go.

That card you linked to for eVGA is only higher in clock speed because it is overclocked past nVidia's reference 7900GS design. It is indicated by the "KO" at the end of the name, making it truly called the "eVGA GeForce 7900GS KO".

That XFX card you linked to is the non-overclocked version of the 7900GS which is the reason for the low clock speeds that are no match for the 7900GS KO. The highest overclocked version of XFX's 7900GS is this one: XFX GeForce 7900GS XXX-Edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150209
which is the one that should have been compared to the eVGA 7900GS KO, since these two are the highest 7900GS cards from each vendor.

Even though the XFX one looks great and has a lower price, the eVGA one is better because it is faster and still retains a low cost.

But XFX offers the fastest overclocked 7900GS, with the "Extreme Edition" and the "XXX-Edition" both beating eVGA's "KO" edition in clock speeds.

For example, my current video card is from XFX because XFX beats eVGA when looking at the 7600 series. The overclocked XFX 7600 (XXX-Edition) is 590/1600 in core/memory. The overclocked eVGA 7600 (KO-Edition) is 580/1500 in core/memory. And also, the XFX board looks cool, it's black.

However, XFX tends to have tons of different versions of every card they release. For the 7900GS, theres the normal version, "Extreme Edition", "XXX-Edition", and more, whereas eVGA only has one overclocked version, the "KO".

For example, the XFX 7900GS Extreme Edition:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150202
is overclocked more than the eVGA 7900GS KO. The extreme edition is just under the XXX-Edition.

So in closing, the eVGA option would be a better choice if you were to choose from the two that you have linked to. :grinthumb

But just know that there are other versions of the XFX 7900GS that beat the eVGA one.

I think I looked at that :suspiciou ! I got the KO because it was cheaper at the time by a few dollars.

Ok, so far the EVGA card is the better so far....

But - I have also found this baby.... What would be better, it (XFX 7900GS EXTREME) or the EVGA card?

You'll find that XFX has about a million versions for each of their line of video cards and that gives you a lot to choose from.

Now that you have added a new XFX card to your list of selections (the 7900GS Extreme), then the XFX would be the better choice.

The XFX Extreme Edition is overclocked more than eVGA's KO edition on both the core and memory speeds. That would be the better choice if you can afford that.

It's true that eVGA puts the heatsink over the RAM chips on the board and XFX doesn't, but it is very unlikely that you will notice impaired performance on an XFX card because of this.

XFX rebates should be OK, just like all rebates. Just make sure you do the documentation correct, as you'll get no notification if you've signed something incorrect.

And finally, because I am such a nice guy :D, I have put together a list of low-to-high 7900GS's from XFX and eVGA.

These are from lowest (top) to highest (bottom), and only include the 7900GS cards from XFX and eVGA (I took out the ones not on newegg, for the sake of links):

XFX GeForce 7900GS - THIS or THIS
eVGA GeForce 7900GS KO - WITHOUT HDCP or WITH HDCP
XFX GeForce 7900GS Extreme Edition 480MHz - THIS
XFX GeForce 7900GS Extreme Edition 525MHz - THIS
XFX GeForce 7900GS XXX-Edition - HERE

Glad to help :)

Personaly I always go with XFX in videocards because they have great performance

XFX 7900GS - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150202
-$185.99
-$ 30.00 rebate (again, how is XFX with their rebates?)
-525MHz core
-1550MHz mem
-No ramsinks
-Extremely cool-looking

The best you could probably get because look at the Core clock / memory clock compared to the eVga videocard ;)

Also how do you add a poll?

to be honest, i never liked either brand very much, although there's nothing wrong with EVGA products. i'd still say that EVGA generally is the better choice. when it comes to video cards, i always end up going with BFG, ASUS, gigabyte, or MSI products.

Rebates

My rebates from XFX were timely- in fact, much quicker than most vendors. I did have to RMA the card, though at this point, I think the problems may not have been the card's fault. Their customer support, was responsive, and they stayed with it daily throughout the process, so I have to rate their support as superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back