TechSpot

XG Magnum 500W Power Supply

By VcBoy87
Feb 11, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heya all,

    I was was looking at this power supply...

    (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817167016)

    And I was wondering what does the 90% efficiency usually mean? on a continuous basis? or only at peak performances? or what?

    Because if its on a continuous basis, dang, I need to get that to cut down on my electric bills, hahaha.

    Thanks for the help in advance,
  2. Pablo

    Pablo TS Rookie Posts: 22

    i would think that it either has something to do with the appearent power vs the actual power, or it has something to do with creating heat and wasting power....maybe someone else could clarify
  3. blue_dragon

    blue_dragon TS Rookie Posts: 278

    its how efficient you psu is
    say you use 500 watts from the outlet..your psu only uses 450 watts of the possbile 500 watts..so what happens to the rest of the 50 watts?
    if you the conservation of energy law...the rest is lost as heat
    so...better efficiency save you on bills and theoritically keeps your pc cooler
  4. RealBlackStuff

    RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

    90% efficiency.
    What this means is that 90% of the electricity that it sucks out of the wall outlet is actually used by the computer. The other 10% is converted into heat. Take into account that most PSU’s average around 70% efficiency. Now if your house is not very well insulated and you need the extra heat in the winter, a low efficiency PSU is right up your alley. But if you like to save money over the long run by wasting less energy; then a high efficiency PSU like this is exactly what you want.
  5. VcBoy87

    VcBoy87 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 26

    So then, this a constant 90% efficiency?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.


Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...


Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.