TechSpot

Xiaomi reveals two flagship smartphones, one with a fingerprint reader under its glass

By Shawn Knight
Sep 27, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. Chinese electronics giant Xiaomi on Tuesday took the wraps off two new flagship smartphones, the Mi 5s and Mi 5s Plus. What’s interesting about the smaller of the two is the fact that it utilizes an ultrasonic fingerprint reader built under the front glass, something we’ll likely be seeing more of in the months and years to come.

The smaller Mi 5s packs a 5.1-inch, 1080p pressure sensitive display that’s powered by Qualcomm’s new Snapdragon 821 SoC, up to 4GB of RAM and up to 128GB of flash storage. The handset also features Sony’s 1/2.3-inch IMX378 CMOS sensor that’s good for 12-megapixel photos along with an f/2.0 aperture, dual-tone LED flash, phase detection autofocus and auto HDR. It’s powered by a 3,200mAh battery that utilizes Qualcomm’s QuickCharge 3.0 technology.

Its bigger brother, the Mi 5s Plus, is also powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 821 chip with the option of up to 6GB of RAM and 128GB of flash storage. Xiaomi has elected to go with a dual-camera approach for the main shooter that uses Sony’s IMX258 sensor. One of the cameras captures color while the other strictly does black and white. They can be used individually or simultaneously to enhance the overall image quality.

The Mi 5s Plus utilizes a larger 5.7-inch HD (1,920 x 1,080) display although oddly enough, it lacks the force sensitivity and integrated fingerprint sensor of the smaller phone. A beefier 3,800mAh battery supplies power, we’re told.

Both phones are offered in your choice of gold, rose gold, silver and gray. Pricing starts at RMB 1999 ($299) for the entry-level Mi 5s and RMB 2299 ($344) for the base Mi 5s Plus. Pre-orders open on September 29 in China. No word yet on whether or not Xiaomi plans to bring its latest and greatest to markets outside of its home country.

Permalink to story.

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

Sub-par camera for a flagship. All competition has migrated to f/1.8 aperture (Apple, Samsung and LG).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  3. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 658   +174

$299 and $349 is NOT a flagship phone, these are value for money phones.
    How can you compare the camera in this to a $700-$900 samsung or apple?

Reehahs likes this.
  4. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

It is a flagship from Xiaomi which they position to compete with the said companies through cheaper prices, suggesting equality in function, but it ain't equal.

5. Reehahs

Reehahs TS Addict Posts: 170   +70

That 821 SOC is more than enough for those prices.

6. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,902   +528

Trust me, the photos are amazing, especially on the dual camera setup and you are paying around 2-3 times less than what you pay for apple and samsung for a phone that has incredible hardware inside that can compete with their flagship phones.

7. Theinsanegamer

Theinsanegamer TS Guru Posts: 372   +323

These sound amazing, especially that 1080p phone with a 821 SoC. How is xaiomi with updates?

8. Puiu

Weekly updates to their UI software and they also release updates to the kernel fairly often. Many of their phones released in the past year or 2 are expected to get Nougat 7.0. Phones like the Mi 2, which released in 2012, are getting the MIUI 8 update.

Reehahs likes this.
  9. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Guru Posts: 930   +354

Sure wish the retailers in Canada would import Xiaomi. Wow, I actually want a Chinese import.

10. Alex Voinica

Alex Voinica TS Member Posts: 25   +13

The issue is that their ROM is full of Chinese bloatware and advertising pop-ups even when you just want to unlock your phone. I bought a Xiaomi Mi4c recently running with MIUI 8 and after 2 hours of use I wanted to throw it away because of this. After I installed a custom ROM ( sMIUI ) the phone changed completely and I just loved it. But that means you are aware that you will loose the warranty. So beware, the stock ROM is a nightmare concerning advertisings pop-ups and Chinese pre-installed bloatware that cannot be removed without root.

11. Puiu

custom international ROMs for Xiaomi are very good and get updates as often as the official releases, this is why people like them so much. you can remove all of the bloatware that way.

but, as a side-note, my phone has their apps, but I'm not getting bombarded with pop-ups like you. maybe I have settings better configured.

12. Alex Voinica

Alex Voinica TS Member Posts: 25   +13

Well I tried everything I could from their software and in the end I switched to custom ROM which works perfect. Not all bloatware can be removed without root, I tried, read on forums and the most secure option to get rid of them was to install custom ROM. And the stock ROM was for Europe market, as it came with Play Store out of the box and Eu wall charger.

Reehahs likes this.