Xiaomi's 6.4-inch $230 Mi Max is a device for those who love smartphones with big displays

midian182

Staff member

If you're a fan of smartphones with enormous screens, you may want to check out the latest device from Xiaomi. The Mi Max, which is now officially out in China, features a monstrous 6.44-inch display.

Despite its size, Xiaomi insists that the carrying Mi Max won’t feel like you’re holding a tablet and claims it will fit inside your (quite spacious) pockets. The body measures 173.1mm x 88.3mm x 7.5mm and weighs 203 grams. For comparison, the S7 Edge measures 150.9 x 72.6 x 7.7 mm and weighs 157g.

Powering that large, full HD display is a huge 4850 mAh battery. There are a few configurations available; buyers can choose models with a Snapdragon 650 or 652 CPU - powered by six or eight Cortex A72 and A53 cores - and 3 GB or 4 GB of RAM.

The Mi Max also comes with 32 GB, 64 GB, and 128 GB storage options, a 16-megapixel rear camera, a 5 MP front snapper, an Adreno 510 GPU, and a fingerprint sensor.

As you can see from the hardware, the Mi Max fits firmly into the mid-range section of the smartphone market. Prices in China range from RMB 1499 ($230) for the lowest-spec model to RMB 1999 ($307) for the Snapdragon 652/4GB RAM/128 GB memory version.

In addition to the Mi Max, Xiaomi has also revealed the latest incarnation of its MIUI custom Android operating system. MIUI 8 introduces abilities such as splitting a phone into two separate accounts, app cloning, and a host of other additions and refreshed designs. It enters beta-testing in China on June 1. All Mi, Redmi, and Mi Note models starting from the Mi 2 will support MIUI 8.

Permalink to story.

Is there some conspiracy that keeps phone makers from making these devices "global" from the sense that they have all of the LTE frequencies for pretty much the entire world?
I stumbled onto the Huawei Ascend Mate2 almost 2 years ago and LOVE IT!
From what I've seen on GSMarena, this phone does not (as a lot of good phones)
have the USA LTE frequencies, shutting it out of the USA market.
Yeah, I know the USA is a smaller market for some of these Asian manufacturers, and, because of the stranglehold Apple/Samsung have, some say why bother, but it's a modem chip that determines what band it works on (along with the antenna). There have been a few 6+" screen phones I would love to upgrade to, but, unless it has the apple logo, Samsung, Sony, or Google, you are kind of out of luck.

Back