Xilisoft software scanning positive for viruses

By Samuel Silburt
Mar 13, 2014
  1. Hi,

Before I relay the results of my recent virus scan, let me say up front that xilisoft makes darn good software. Unfortunately, if their software contains malware, I will cease to use their products.
    I've tested three of their softwares (Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate 7, Xilisoft DVD Ripper Standard 7, and Xilisoft Video Editor 2) using the multi-engine virus scanning site At the time of my first scan, I received the following positive result (most engines said the scanned file was clean).

Virus engine: Antiy-AVL
    Name of malware: Trojan[:HEUR]/Win32.Unknown

I have also received other positive matches, but those matches have ceased to show up in the virustotal results. In regards to the above match, based on previous experience, I assume this is a heuristic (trojan) virus, or in other words, a potentially suspected/undocumented virus (the ".Unknown" extension reinforces this interpretation) that steals user data or otherwise harms a system.

I looked online and couldn't find any information regarding this specific virus including its severity, whether its a false positive, etc. etc. I've contacted their online support and gave up as their replies were not helpful.

My question is:

Could anyone relay their opinions, knowledge or findings regarding the level of safety and security in using xilisoft's software (specifically the three softwares mentioned above). I haven't found much information online.

Note: I have purchased all of these softwares legitimately. The exact files in question, downloaded from their main page are:

Xilisoft Converter Ultimate 7

Xilisoft DVD Ripper Standard 7

Xilisoft Video Editor 2

Thanks for your feedback.
  2. Broni

Broni Malware Annihilator Posts: 52,805   +343

Welcome aboard [​IMG]

I use couple Xilisoft utilities myself and I consider Xilisoft a good company.
    I definitely wouldn't worry about ONE positive results.
    It comes form less known engine and it's listed as heuristic.

You'll be fine.

In case like this one I'd rather contact to let them know about false positive. If you have some free time :)