Ximian GNOME Desktop 2 coming for Linux next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

Building on the success of their GNOME desktop, Ximian are to release a completely new version of the software next week, in a move that will hopefully bring Linux closer to the average user.

"Ximian Desktop 2 provides a complete productivity application suite, breakthrough usability features, and seamless Windows interoperability to enable organizations to easily and affordably deploy Linux desktops in mixed Windows/Linux environments. Innovations include an intuitive interface, the Ximian Edition of OpenOffice.org for Microsoft Office file-compatible documents, one-click Windows network navigation and easy printer setup to reduce training and support costs".

Some new features include:

* drag and drop CD burning
* built-in terminal emulation, instant messaging, chat and other applications
* third-party components (part of Ximian Desktop 2 Professional Edition only), including Agfa fonts, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Macromedia Flash, Real Player, and Java2 Run Time.

Personally, I made the switch from GNOME to KDE a while ago, but from what I have seen, XD2 may well convert me back! Some of the screenshots show a system that's highly similar to the windows world, with lots of bits and pieces previously missing from the Linux desktop built in.

More here.

Oh, and a full review here.

mycomputer.png

Oh man, that's got to be easier to use than Windows XP!

browsing-windows-network.png

This sort of thing looks pretty handy and doesn't seem to require much messing around in the command prompt to connect to the Microsoft World as perhaps it currently does, anyway!

evolution-fullscreen.png

And if that's not something as good looking as Microsoft Outlook 2003. given away for NOTHING! then I don't know what is.

SCARY

will this make all those lamerz invade the preserved (for now) Linux world ???

Will granma have a Linux-enabled microwave oven to surf the web ? LOL

I remember those times where the Web and the computer world was free of all those *****s that just piss you off, free of ads, free of spam, with pleny of freeware stuff ...

times are changing :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back