Xoftspy - same problem as B Smithers

Status
Not open for further replies.

duracell

I ran the usual Xoftspy scan on 12th April and it showed up that I had murlo trojan in the following files. They return on each reboot despite my having removed them. I've downloaded and ran all the suggestions given in an earlier post and none of the programs find the murlo trojan. Hubby even linked me to his laptop and checked with Norton - but the full scan took 6 hours to run and then found nothing.

system\ip6fw\enum0
system\ip6fw\count
system\ip6fw\nextinst

Is there a default value for these registry entries or have you discovered how to remove them?

REALLY struggling with this one.

As you`re no doubt aware, I`ve been searching for a solution to this problem for several days, without success. the latest idea I have is to try the following and post the results. Maybe if I can find the source of the infection, I`ll be able to suggest a way to get rid of it.

Please run the Kaspersky online scanner and post the logfile.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of duracell only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Log file Kapersky

Hi again,

I ran the scan on the critical areas (hope that was right) and here is the log file.

Good luck in your search for a fix.

Please run the scanner again and have it scan your entire system, not just the critical areas. Post a fresh scan log.

This thread is for the use of duracell only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Kapersky Full Scan

Hi Howard,

Here's the full scan of my computer. I've had to stop using Outlook as an email coming in is closing Outlood even before I get a chance to delete it. I logged onto my mail account online and there is no sign of this email on their server. It says from "none" and has nothing in the subject line. I don't know if it's significant, but it might be. Fingers crossed.

Thanks lots

Lorna

Uninstall Windows defender from add remove programmes(if there)

Empty your recycle bin.

1. Please download The Avenger by Swandog46 from HERE. Save it to your Desktop and extract it.

2. Download the attached avengerscript.txt and save it to your desktop

Note: the above code was created specifically for this user. If you are not this user, do NOT follow these directions as they could damage the workings of your system.

3. Now, start The Avenger program by double clicking on its icon on your desktop.

Under "Script file to execute" choose "Load script from file".
Now click on the folder icon which will open a new window titled "open Script File"
navigate to the file you have just downloaded, click on it and press open
Now click on the Green Light to begin execution of the script
Answer "Yes" twice when prompted.

4. The Avenger will automatically do the following:

It will Restart your computer. ( In cases where the code to execute contains "Drivers to Unload", The Avenger will actually restart your system twice.)
On reboot, it will briefly open a black command window on your desktop, this is normal.
After the restart, it creates a log file that should open with the results of Avenger’s actions. This log file will be located at C:\avenger.txt
The Avenger will also have backed up all the files, etc., that you asked it to delete, and will have zipped them and moved the zip archives to C:\avenger\backup.zip.

5. Please attach the content of c:\avenger.txt into your reply, as well as a fresh HJT log.

What's the hjt log?

Hi Howard,

I've printed out the instructions and will start the process asap, but what is a hjt log? Told you I was a dumb mum didn't I.

Rgds,

Lorna

Avenger

Hi again Howard,

I've attached the Avenger text file and the hjt log.

I finally got a reply from Xoftspy (see below). I'm not convinced as why would I get the trojan warnings and then immediately have problems with Outlook? Could it be a coincidence that the version of Xoftspy I'm using is now discontinued and the newer XoftspySE claims to fix everything? Or am I just a suspicious old sod?

Thanks again

Lorna:)

Xoftspy response

Posted On: 18 Apr 2007 01:44 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Lorna,

Thank you for your email and the information you have provided.

We have identified this item as a false positive and this item will be removed from out definitions database in the near future.

In the meantime, please add it to your XoftSpy ignore list to prevent further detection. Should we make the decision to leave it in our database, it is your choice to leave it on your XoftSpy ignore list to prevent further detection or to have it detected.

**Please note that XoftSpy is now discontinued. We recommend copying the product to CD should you wish to continue using as the below link will only be available for a small period of time.

http://support.paretologic.com/xoftspy_setup.exe

However, updates and support for our legacy package will continue until May 1, 2007.

ParetoLogic is pleased to announce the next generation of XoftSpy, XoftSpySE. Built on the platform of our popular legacy product, XoftSpy, XoftSpySE features the effectiveness and ease of use that characterizes ParetoLogic products, while employing the latest advances in technology and innovation.