TechSpot

XP 1700+: Buy now or wait?

By erwin1978
May 8, 2002
  1. Is now a good time to buy a new motherboard and XP processor? I've been absent from, "I know the latest hardware crowd" for almost a year that I don't even know what PC3000 memory is.

I have a budget of $150 and I want to get at least a XP 1700+. Whatever is left is for the motherboard.

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Prices on the AthlonXp chips are gonna get a cut very soon ( & it's a pretty hefty cut too ) -> New AMD Prices

3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

You might want to wait unitl the AMD Hammer comes out because I am sure that the XP's will drop in price.

4. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Posts: 645

i would say wait. $150 isnt alot for an upgrade like a processor, motherboard, and ram. Wait to get more cash and get the best motherboard and plenty of ram, or wait until the next set of processors come out.

5. chaplndave

chaplndave TS Rookie Posts: 38

Didou:

Link you gave is in a different language (German???). Can you translate? Thanks.

6. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

you gould try Google's translator, it works pretty good.

7. chaplndave

chaplndave TS Rookie Posts: 38

Do you have a link to the translator and how it works? I am familiar with Google search...use it all the time...not familiar with the translator. Thanks for the post.

8. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

AMD is going to announce quite a significant fall of the prices in 27th of May

9. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

Just click on "Language Tools" on the Google main page

10. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Posts: 1,145

Concur:
    Wait; it's HAMMER:knock: time

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.