XP 2600+ problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off hello, & hope i can get helpful information to my problem as i have exhuasted all of my resources.

I have a Biostar M7NCD mobo which is able to support up to 400mhz fsb. I just bought a AMD XP2600 barton core 333mhz chip. Im running 256mb (for now) of DDR333 pc2700.

My problem is, when i set the fsb to 166 in my bios, as soon as i load windows and im at my desktop, any application i run, the computer automatically shutsdown and reboots. This continues to happen. I am able to set it to 133 in the bios, but then instead of the 1.9ghz clockspeed i should have... im stuck with 1.5ghz. This is really distrubing since i paid to have more not less.

If anyone can shed some light on this mess please help. Im down to either replacing the mother board, or buying new sticks of ram, as those are the only two things i can see as the problem.

any other system specs needed feel free to ask.

thanks in advance

Perhaps a BIOS flash may fix this odd behavior?

I don't think there are any set of circumstances which should make your computer shut off like that after a CPU upgrade, aside from overheating perhaps.

Well i used the heatsink and fan that it came with, and it shutdown, and i also used a thermaltake 8 (i do believe) and it did the same thing. Temp was staying roughly at 45c.

No matter what i do, i cant get it to run at 1.91ghz.

This is so frustrating.

Even before i had a 1.4 266fsb chip that it wouldnt let me run the fsb at 133, i had to run it at 100, even though i knew it would/should run at 133.

Im starting to believe that this mobo is junk.

I would test out some different RAM first, but if you were having the same problem with a difference CPU it might be time to buy a new motherboard.....for a AMD K7 buy something with an nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset - that is all you will ever need

Steg

what voltage is your chip running at. some boards dont auto assign the most appropriate voltage. if your temps are low enough <50 just up the voltage and see if it helps. my older 2600+ used to default to 1.725

it is running at 1.63-1.65 i was observing it changing between that range. I checked and it should be at 1.65 however i am unable to change it.

im wondering if cpu-throttling % has anything to do with it? or the memory timings. right now i have it set to turbo and the throttle set to 50%

blah blah blah.....

Set the memory timings to the most conservative setting at first. Once everything is running smoothly you can tweak the timigs one by one until you reach the optimal setting. Right now, try setting it to some loose timings ( CAS3, etc ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back