Xp 3000+ oc

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue_dragon

I think my mobo will be able to handle a software overclock according to sandra but my only concern is the memory, it only has one timings vs frequency table
i've tried overclocking before on a 250 watt psu and would reboot but IM gonna get a 450 watt
any advice?
overclock.jpg

your memory timings are actually listed in both windows (look under "logical/chipset1 memory banks") and they match the results from cpu-z

BTW > make sure you get a quality power supply.

hi blue dragon,

blue_dragon said:
I think my mobo will be able to handle a software overclock according to sandra
in general, software overclocking is useless and will not let you gain any significant overclock. your athlon-XP's multiplier is locked, so you can only overclock by raising the FSB (unless it's an XP-M).

a software overclock will not work because you cannot lock the PCI/AGP bus through software (that I know at least) and PCI/AGP cards are very intolerant of bus overclocking. another reason is that you cannot choose a memory divider to run the RAM near it's rated speed (the only way around this is to buy faster RAM that can handle the overclocked FSB)

if your BIOS has overclocking settings (i.e. FSB, multiplier, VCORE, etc) then overclock through that.

blue_dragon said:
i've tried overclocking before on a 250 watt psu and would reboot but IM gonna get a 450 watt
any advice?
the wattage doesn't matter. overclocking requires stable and sufficient power (not just more wattage). if you want to upgrade your PSU, then a 350w should be more than enough, but don't just buy some generic brand... make sure that it's from a reputable brand like Antec, enermax, or fortron to name a few.

cheers :wave:

KingCody said:
hi blue dragon,

in general, software overclocking is useless and will not let you gain any significant overclock. your athlon-XP's multiplier is locked, so you can only overclock by raising the FSB (unless it's an XP-M).

a software overclock will not work because you cannot lock the PCI/AGP bus through software (that I know at least) and PCI/AGP cards are very intolerant of bus overclocking. another reason is that you cannot choose a memory divider to run the RAM near it's rated speed (the only way around this is to buy faster RAM that can handle the overclocked FSB)

if your BIOS has overclocking settings (i.e. FSB, multiplier, VCORE, etc) then overclock through that.

the wattage doesn't matter. overclocking requires stable and sufficient power (not just more wattage). if you want to upgrade your PSU, then a 350w should be more than enough, but don't just buy some generic brand... make sure that it's from a reputable brand like Antec, enermax, or fortron to name a few.

cheers :wave:
WHAT?
Nobody ever told me that my XP-M was unlocked... how do I unlock the multiplier??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back