XP Administrator & Profile Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4ghg

I would appreciate it if someone could please help me. I cannot access my Home XP (not password protedted) primary Administrator account (not on control panel or when I login with Ctl-Alt-Del). Also, I am having problems with my second administrators account. I can login to my second administrator account, but it no longer has administrator rights and it too does not appear on the control panel.

I created a third account with administrator ability. This profile gives me adminstrator rights, but it does not give me access to all my programs (I am prompted for registration numbers).

I tried creating a new account with administrators rights and copying the profile from my non administrator profile (followed MS instructions) but it did not work (profile did not change).

Is there a way to reset adminstrator rights to a profile that exists and is not on the control panel? Is there a way to create a new adminstrator, copy a non administrators profile and activate all the non adminstrators programs, desktop, ect?

Thanks any ideas or suggestions will be appreciarted. Ronnie

Actually the main Administrator account is called Administrator

You can enable the "Administrator" named account, on the normal welcome screen by viewing this guide

Note: All administrators should have the same rights as all other Administrator accounts

Thanks. I followed the guide:

Log on as Administrator in Normal Mode
First you must ensure that the Administrator Account is enabled:
1 open Control Panel
2 open Administrative Tools
3 open Local Security Policy
4 expand Local Policies
5 click on Security Options
6 ensure that Accounts: Administrator account status is enabled

When Administrators tools does not have a Local Security Policy. I have A)Component Service, B) Data Source, C)Performance, D) Computer Management, E) Event F) Services. None of these options have Local Security Policy. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks... Ronnie

Hmm, I've changed my mind, this is better and easier:

Click on Start—>Run-->regedit -->ok

Navigate to the following key from left pane

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

Right Click on UserList and add the DWORD name Administrator with a value of 1

Thank you, will this make Administrator appear on the control panel? Could I do this for the other account that does not appear which has my desired profiles? Thank you very much. Ronnie

Only the Administrator (original) account should not have shown
If you have other accounts not showing, I would say that yes you can do this for them as well.
But all this implies is that Windows login group is corrupt, and that it may be best to backup and re-install clean one day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back