XP and MAXTOR STM3320920AS SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, please could someone help me with a problem.

I will give details of my system but first will describe the problem:

Any audio or video files read from the disk stutter every other second. I use my machine to produce music so this stops me in my 'tracks'(hoho). If I copy a file from the SATA disc while a simple mp3 is playing then it completley garbles the sound.

When I run the same files from one of the IDE disks there is no problem.

I have noticed copying files is markedly slower when this disc is involved.
Whilst copyng files using this disc if I move the mouse pointer in a repeating circle then the pointer will freeze and unfreeze quickly repeatedly so it appears to jump from point to point.

When I copy files using other disks (neither to or from SATA) the pointer is a continuous line with no jumpiness.

Also: when copying files using the SATA drive the 'system' file in Task Manager/Processes peaks at 95% CPU and averages about 60%CPU.

Also: In 'Device Manager'the 'Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE' and 'VIA Bus Master IDE controller' don't have the 'advanced settings' tab. I don't know if that is normal? There is no mention of SATA.

The SATA MAXTOR STM3320920AS is running on the 'Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE' controller shouldn't this be a SATA controller?

The 'Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE' is sharing an irq with 'VIA rev 5 or later USB universal host controller' I've tried disabling the VIA USB but it doesn't help.

So I guess the problem is to do with SATA driver.

The SATA MAXTOR STM3320920AS driver in 'Device Manager' is:
'Manufacturer: (Standard disk drive) 5.1.2535.0 - 01/07/2001'
(is this right? Shouldn't there be mention of SATA?).

system:
ASRock 775DUAL-VSTA motherboard bios 2.90
MS Windows XP PRO SP 2

2xIDE disks Master/Slave
CDRW & DVRR Master/slave
MAXTOR STM3320920AS SATA
I'tried both STANDARD PC and ACPI MULTIPROCESSOR PC

Please help.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back