TechSpot

XP automatically opens folders at start up

By fuzmnky
Apr 30, 2004
  1. This started happening yesterday. I'm running XP home and when I boot into windows, it automatically opens: Windows media player, windows online help and support center, and three random folders -one that winamp resides in, one that my hex editors are in, and one that a shareware program called "what's on my computer' is in (which I've been meaning to delete anyway).

I went into msconfig and turned off the support and wmp, so those stopped. I've checked regedit, none of those in the run folders (not even run once), I just don't understand why it happened in the first place and why these random folders keep showing up? Am I missing something? If it is a virus, why these three random folders?

I've ran avg, spybot, adaware, and a trojan scanner-all clean and my firewall hasn't picked up anything funny.

What could it me and how do I turn off these folders?

Any suggestions would be cool.

(I renewed this thread to change the title.)

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Check in the properties of Windows Explorer. Maybe someone has "hacked" the parameters for opening.

3. fuzmnky

fuzmnky TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

Sorry, but exactly what should I be looking for?

4. fuzmnky

fuzmnky TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

I got it.

I found those folders in my startup folder in the start menu. I can't count how many times I was searching through msconfig and regedit. I didn't even think of that folder because I never use it.

I now realize it must have been my brother. He came to visit for a week and was using my hex editors and was the one who installed winamp.

Man I'm glad I figured that out, I thought I had some weird virus that had a fetish for random folders!

Now to chat with my bro about messing with my baby.

Thanks for the reply Real!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.