TechSpot

XP BIOS Startup Delay

By ianc68
Jul 17, 2008
  1. When I reach the stage of "Verifying DMI Pool Data" in the BIOS boot, the screen remains blank for about 3 minutes before I get to the XP startup screen. This has only occured after I disconnected an external USB disc drive. If I reconnect the drive there is no delay in the boot sequence. I've tried ejecting the drive and rebooting but the problem remains. The PC has a Phoenix Award bios but I can't find any options in the setup that correct the problem.

2. bobl61

bobl61 TS Rookie Posts: 25

Did You try uninstalling the driver for the USB disc drive?

3. ianc68

ianc68 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I haven't specifically installed a driver for the USB drive - I just plug it in.

Since I've had the problem I have reformated the hard disk and reinstalled Windows XP and I have also reset the BIOS by disconnecting the battery.

4. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,638

the easiest way ot fix that is to make sure u do not have the USB hard drive plugged in when u install windows then the usb drive will not be looked for in boot.

5. tweaks_sav

tweaks_sav TS Rookie Posts: 190

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.