XP Boot Error: "xmnt2002 program not found - skipping AUTO CHECK"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I restart the computer, the XP load screen comes up briefly, and then a blue screen pops up with this error message:

----------------------------------------------------
xmnt2002 program not found - skipping AUTO CHECK

autochk program not found - skipping AUTO CHECK
----------------------------------------------------

at which point the computer restarts and the same thing happens all over again. I only have access to the BIOS right now.

I've tried to repair XP by booting up with the original disk, but that didn't work. I have another partition running XP that I do have access to, if that can help me somehow. But I have no access to the first (my main) partition..

I've Googled this error and read a number of forum links, but most of them just suggest using windows repair.. or it trails off to some other issue.

Now... I have used Partition Magic on this computer, and I did read a comment somehwere that said uninstalling Partition Magic could help get rid of that screen. But how do I uninstall a program on an operating system that I don't have access too?? And even if I get access to the folder in DOS, I can't just *delete* the program folder.. it needs to be properly uninstalled.

What do I do?

Xmnt2002 is part of Partition Magic. It sticks itself in the Windows registry under "BootExecute" so it loads at Windows boot time. I don't think xmnt2002 is your issue though.

Typically, if there's an error with xmnt2002, it will continue to load Windows and your system will boot normally. But, your Windows restarts (probably due to a fatal BSOD error). This means there's something wrong with system, like a corrupted file system, which is probably a result of using Partition Magic in the first place. A corrupted file system also explains why xmnt2002 can't be found... its scrambled rubbish.

Chances are, your file system is hosed. Just about your only chance of a graceful recovery would be using those recovery disks that PM has you make... which no one ever bothers to create. :D

So... Personally, I wouldn't use PM anymore. I've had too many problems with it and since Symantec bought it... well... Ick. Acronis Partition Expert / Disk Director has been 100% reliable for me, just as a suggestion for the future.

Anyhow, if your computer was working correctly, the fix would be this (below). In the meantime though, you can try chkdsk in the Windows XP 'Recovery Console'... It's located on the install disc. Just choose to repair instead of install Windows and follow the prompts.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/0/b0316214f90fadd888256e9f00607ba5?OpenDocument
To remove the registry key in Windows XP
1. Exit all programs.
2. On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run.
3. In the Run dialog box, type the following:

regedit
4. Click OK.
5. In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
6. In the right pane, double-click the following value.

BootExecute

The Edit String dialog box appears.
7. Remove the line that references Xmnt2002.
For example, if the data value of BootExecute is:

autocheck xmnt2002 /bat="C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\PQ_BATCH.PQB" /win="C:\WINDOWS" /dbg="C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\PQ_DEBUG.TXT" /ver=262144 /prd="PartitionMagic"
autocheck autochk *

then remove the first line so that the value looks like the following:

autocheck autochk *
8. Click OK.
9. Exit the Registry Editor.
10. Reboot the computer.

To remove the registry key in Windows 2000
1. Exit all open programs.
2. On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run.
3. In the Run dialog box, type the following:

regedt32
4. Click OK.
5. In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
6. In the right pane, double-click the following value.

BootExecute

The Edit String dialog appears.
7. Remove the line that references Xmnt2002.
For example If the data value of BootExecute is:

autocheck xmnt2002 /bat="C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\PQ_BATCH.PQB" /win="C:\WINDOWS" /dbg="C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\PQ_DEBUG.TXT" /ver=262144 /prd="PartitionMagic"
autocheck autochk *

then remove the first line so the value looks like the following:

autocheck autochk *
8. Click OK.
9. Exit the Registry Editor.
10. Reboot the computer.

Alternately, you can download and run the BootExecute.exe utility from the Symantec FTP site. This file will make the necessary changes to the registry automatically.

xmnt2002.exe might actually be missing in system folder

Windows 98 likes xmnt2002.exe in c:\windows\system
Windows XP likes xmnt2002.exe in c:\windows\system32

If copying Partitition Magic from an older operating system to XP
the xmnt2002.exe will most likely be in c:\windows\system and need
to be copied to c:\windows\system32 on the XP machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back