XP computer locks up, hourglass just keeps turning, have to unplug computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
First off, great forum, I've learned alot from this place.

Now, I have a problem I cant seem to solve or find in the archives.

My computer will just randomly lock up after being on the internet. Sometimes it happens after a few minutes, somtimes after 20. It can be really frustrating because it's so random. There doesn't seem to be a method to what's happeneing. I'll go to load a page or something and my computer will just freeze and have the hourglass turning constantly. When I go down to the taskbar it will turn back into the arrow, but I can't click anything. And I can't Ctl-alt-delete to get to the task manager, so I just have to unplug the computer.

It seems to come and go. There's no parrellel I can see in the sites or what I'm doing, they're not heavy pages or intense flash/video or anything. Just checking email and googling stuff and it just happens.

I've ran a norton virus check multiple times and turned up nothing... and I'm lost. Please help!

Here's my tech specs, if they'll help:
- Windows xp
- multiple browsers (tried out with explorer, firefox, opera)
- pentium 4 2.52ghz, 1gb ram, 120gb hd
- Adelphia cable internet through a cisco wireless cable router (I have another computer that I've plugged into the cable internet and never ran into the problem.. so I think it's gotta be something software or hardware related.)

Thanks so much for any tips or advice you can offer!!!
Bill

forgot to mention it's Internet explorer 6.0 where the problem occurrs most (but it's happened in all browers, mozilla and opera too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back