TechSpot

XP crashes when playing games(Civilisation)

By johnhod
Mar 29, 2006
  1. The failure is always IRQ Less Than. It only happens when playing games - memory check reports no problems. I have attached the last 2 minidumps. I have updated the obvious drivers I wonder if anyone can point at the problem.
    Thanx John

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Both minidumps crash at USBPORT.SYS and have a bugcheck of D1.

I cannot be sure from just 2 minidumps, but it may be a problem with one of your usb devices.

On the other hand it could be something else entirely.

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

If that doesn`t help. Zip 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps together and attach them here.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. johnhod

johnhod TS Rookie Topic Starter

Further dumps

If I remember correctly the majority point at the USB port although not all of them. Here are a further 5. I have been running with verifier on which stops the dumps but the game crashes (can go for hours without a crash and sometimes it fails a second time within 10 minutes) with a send microsoft error information but this does not achieve anything. I don't usually have any USB devices active when I am playing.
    Cheers John
    P.S. I am physically handicapped and find it impossible to access boards etc. I rely on onsite maitenance agreements but it is not the sort of problem you can demonstrate to an engineer.

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Update your drivers, including your chipset drivers.

Look for any Windows updates as well.

Did you do the tests in the link I gave you? If you can`t do them yourself, you need to get someone to do them for you.

As far as I can tell, it looks like a ram problem at this stage. Although I`m not 100% sure.

Regards Howard :)

5. cpc2004

cpc2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,994

Hi,

I believe that the culprit is faulty motherboard as one of the minidump has CPU_CALL_ERROR and POSSIBLE_INVALID_CONTROL_TRANSFER. Replace the motherboard will fix the blue screen problem.

Mini012806-01.dmp
    BugCheck 100000D1, {6d6dd0, 1c, 8, 6d6dd0}
    Probably caused by : hardware

STACK_COMMAND: kb
    FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner
    MODULE_NAME: hardware
    IMAGE_NAME: hardware
    DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0
    BUCKET_ID: CPU_CALL_ERROR

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.