XP & DOS question ( A bit stoopid )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look in the \windows\system32\ folder for autoexec.nt, config.nt, autoexec.bat and config.sys files. Also the root directory for autoexec.bat and config.sys.

Look inside all files of those you have on your system to configure the DOS mode.

Cheers for replying.

However, I have no idea as to what you mean by looking inside the file. How do I do this?

Matt

Just open them with notepad.

With .nt and .sys files you double click and then select Notepad as the application. For .bat files you right click and select edit.

Perhaps you should do some research on autoexec.bat files and config.sys before attempting anything..

Okay, I understand it a little now.

When looking into the files, what command line to I need to type for Autoexec and Config to work in DOS?

Also a new box has started popping up when trying to work in DOS:

16 bit MS-Dos Subsystem

.....\Autoexec.nt. The System file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windos applications. Choose Close to Terminate the application.

Should i Just reinstall XP? Would that solve the problem?

Cheers Matt.

AUtoexec.nt and config.nt already work in XP DOS mode. They are executed every time you run a DOS program.

The error message means that you made some mess in the autoexec.nt file. Fix it or copy the original Autoexec.nt from your Windows CD.

I've sorted out the files, they are back to their non working normal selves, I am still getting the Extended memory message.......

Do I need to REM lines or add more to maek the file comaptable?

Also if the problem is two conflicting sound card lines or mode con page commands, hows best to deal with these?

cheers
Matt

I've been reading a lot of older posts and seem to have erradicated the extended memory driver problem. Buuuuttttt still got problems, i'm trying to play an old game now Elite 2. it wont load in DOS, DOS just closes itself down. Any ideas?

You are running it by double clicking the executable?

Try running command.com first, then navigating to elite and running it from command line. This way you see the error messages.

Great choice of game BTW. Elite 2 rocks!

It is a good game. I didn't mean to sound abrupt on the last post, I didn't realised you had replied already, I thought i was replying to myself and telling you alls good...however............

........I still can't get the game to work though, DOS is telling me now that I dont have enough free base memory available. Elite 2 requires 580k (approx 594,000 bytes) to run.

Then it goes on to tell me to remove all unecessary device drivers and loading all DOS and necessary device drivers into high memory.

I've learned a lot about DOS over the last few days, but I have no idea what this is, any ideas?

Matt

i need help! i don't know that much about computers and now things are getting more confusing...

i'm having the same kind of problem..

16 bit windows subsystem error
c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt system file not suitable for running MSDOS and Microsoft Windows application...

so i found out that i have to insert windows cd and type in d:\i386.....

but my prob is i bought this laptop as it is... it didn't come with cds whatsoever... so i tried to put c:\ instead of d:\ *i have no idea what i'm doing!!!* still didn't work!! :confused:

can some please tell me what to do?! thaaaannnkks!!!

Welcome to TechSpot

rubee said:
c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt system file not suitable for running MSDOS and Microsoft Windows application...
Can you post its contents here? It could also help if you told what you're trying to do, which application you're trying to run.

i'm trying to run the IFPS program... which runs with dos...

whenever i click on the qw3270.exe this message appears:

16 bit Windows Subsytem
c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
system file not suitable for running MS DOS and Microsoft Windows application.

i'm using windowsXP.

can you help me please?? thanks!! :)

Please read the post above yours, especially the part that tells you to post the contents of autoexec.nt

Help with autoexec.nt

I am having the same problem with the 16 Bit MS Dos Subsystem error when I try to install C++. I have tried to find the autoexec.nt file in the path given - C:\windows\system32\, but it is not there. I tried to copy it there from my disc, I tried to copy it to the I386 folder on my C drive. Nothing is working. Help!

carolyng160 said:
I am having the same problem with the 16 Bit MS Dos Subsystem error when I try to install C++. I have tried to find the autoexec.nt file in the path given - C:\windows\system32\, but it is not there. I tried to copy it there from my disc, I tried to copy it to the I386 folder on my C drive. Nothing is working. Help!

i was able to figure out how to solve my problem.. be sure when you expand it that the filename that you'll type that's from i386 is autoexec.nt_ (it has an underscore at the end)

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back