XP EFS encryption problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin16

Hi

Recently i saved all my files to a backup harddrive so I could refomat my C drive. I was so stupid in that i accidently encrypted every file and folder with the windows xp's EFS. After I reformated and installed the new xp, i realized that i could not access my files because i no longer had the encryption key of my old account!

Is there a way I can decrypt my files and folders?

Please help ASAP.

Thanks in Advance.

Check this NTFS decrypter

http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html?from=passcr

I also foud this on a forum.Try it and see if it works:

There are in fact 2 solutions:

1. Take ownership and move the file to a FAT32 Partition. EFS is a feature of NTFS and moving the file to a FAT partition will remove the EFS

2. Move it to a compressed volume, MS descided that the 2 (EFS and Compression) are mutually exclusive, so moving the file there will remove the encryption.

3. If the data is already "lost" - ie you cannot find a way to restore it, you can try converting the partition to FAT32 using partition magic or some such, however that may just corrupt the file.

http://www.lostpassword.com/

I have tried your suggestion and none of them works.

The file(s) cannot be moved out of its location

It cannot be converted to FAT32 or all encrypted files will be lost.

The NTFS decypter only works if the key is present

Does anyone have any more suggestions, or am i out of luck?

same thing happened to me .Is anyone having any ideea how to decript the files in stis situation because nothing mentioned above doesnt work. I would really apreciate if any of you has a working ideea. thanks a lot

I found out that XP EFS is really tough

without the encryption key from the account, i think it's hopeless

All my files were replaceable, so I dont really care anymore

Sorry for you though

Yes, without the SID+Key, unless you've got a crack team of cryptographers working for you, you're out of luck. You've lost it all bud. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back