Xp error message confusing me! help!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjps220

I just did a clean install of windows xp professional on an older machine, and now I get an error message. I've attached a picture. It comes up when I try to run certain .exe files, such as the installer for my printer driver, and an audio driver installer.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• error message.bmp
    40.1 KB · Views: 10
I don`t know if this will work 100%, but it`s worth a shot.

When the error message appears. Open your task manager by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key. Click on the processes tab and end process for delis, or _isdel.exe Apparently the einstallation should continue.

See if that helps.

Regards Howard :)

Thank you for the quick reply howard. You've helped me a few times before and I've seen you help MANY other people. It's very nice of you to spend your time helping people.

Well I tried it, and I'm not really sure if it worked. The problem is that this driver says it installs successfully, but the printer still appears as a question mark in device manager. This happens both when I leave _isdel.exe running, and when I shut it down.

Do you have any idea what this error message is caused by?

You can find a little more info on that file HERE.

Try turning off any antivirus software during the installation. Some antivirus software can seriously affect driver installations.

Only connect the printer, either when prompted to do so, or after the driver installation is complete.

Could repairing my windows installation potentially stop this error from occurring? I'm not so much worried about getting the driver installed, as figuring out why this error keeps occurring, and why its looking for another drive.

ps I turned off avg and unplugged the printer. I ran the installer, got the same error, and the yellow question mark still appears in device manager.

okay, during my googling, I came across this: http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=625

Now, halfway down, the author says: "Ok people - after hours of sleepless nights in the shed, searching through
newsgroups, search engines and the microsoft support sites - I found the problem.

I installed the no-install version but got the same error message - outlined
below was the cause:

The computer was configured to use drive C: for the zip drive, D: for cdrom
drive and the 2 hdd drives E: and F:

When I ran the mysql setup program - (i now understand the error message - no
thanks to microsoft) - for some reason the setup file was basically searching
for drive C: (which had no zip disk inside) - I hope you understand things so
far.

Anyway to solve the problem - I went into disk manager and reassigned the zip
drive to Z: and everything works now."

That reminded me that for some reason, my main harddrive had been labeled as F. Could this be my problem? Wouldn't it make sense that windows is trying to use my C drive, which contains nothing, so it gives me an error?

It`s certainly worth a try. Whether this is the cause of your problem I don`t know.

If it does work, then it`ll save you from running a repair.

If it doesn`t then you`re still in the same boat.

sjps220 said:
okay, during my googling, I came across this: http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=625

Now, halfway down, the author says: ......

That reminded me that for some reason, my main harddrive had been labeled as F. Could this be my problem? Wouldn't it make sense that windows is trying to use my C drive, which contains nothing, so it gives me an error?

sjp...
Although windows default installation drive is C:\ (I am speaking in general terms) it can function on most any partition.
You will find that some programs/software will have a problem from time to time, when C: does not have what they expect.
You will always have to remember your configuration's situation.

Thanks for the help guys.

I decided just to do a fresh install of windows. This time the harddrive showed up as C, and there were no problems. Whether that was the source of the problem or not, I don't know. Anyways, its working perfectly now!

Although that pesky printer driver must have been a separate issue since its still not working right :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back