XP failed twice in 4 days. H.D tests OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve B

Hi, on Sunday, I turned my Comp. on and I kept getting messages like "Unable to find......" over and over. once i got past all that, I couldn't activate SYS Restore, or do much of anything, for that matter.

I used the Western Digital diagnostic floppy and it found no errors...

So, I formatted and loaded up everything again....FUN.
This time I chose to use the Gigabyte Backup utility. Just as well, as it pooed itself again this morning.

Same thing over again."Unable to find My Documents"etc etc

Unable to find much at all.

So I'm on the Backup and at the end of my tether...Is it a HD problem?

P L E A S E H E L P... I'm calling my mouse wilson......

Do you happen to be running an anti-virus. Nothing is worse then having a virus infect your backed-up documents & come back to infect the machine at every re-install.

If the WD diagnostic tool hasn't detected a problem, then it's more then likely not hardware problem. Try doing a virus scan with up-to-date virus definitions & see if it finds anything.

Didou, 1st thing I did.

I got all the windows updates, and run Norton int sec 2004, which I keep up to date- well, it does it itself.

Heard of any probs with western digital 80g drives???

If it happens again..........:mad:

I haven't heard anything specific about WD drives lately. I'm running a few myself & never had a problem with them.

Try using a program such as HDDRegen & see if it finds anything wrong with the drive.

just 4 inerest sake I ran a Memtest. AOK.

I'll try HDDRegen.

If it happens again every member of Techspot will be able to hear me curse, no matter what they're location....:D

Originally posted by Steve B
Didou, 1st thing I did.

I got all the windows updates, and run Norton int sec 2004, which I keep up to date- well, it does it itself.

Heard of any probs with western digital 80g drives???

If it happens again..........:mad:

My first one lasted 6 months, my second one is starting to make funny noises. Ran WD tests and everything came out fine. I just think the 80gb hds are cursed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back