TechSpot

XP Firewall

By ovrtn5
Mar 18, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have two computers on a workgroup through dsl and 2 port router. One computer has ZoneAlarm firewall and the other is just using the XP Firewall. When I go to the settings of the XP firewall I can add a IP address...like a trusted IP im guessing...It also asks for the incoming and outgoing ports? How can i find those....I want to be able to talk to each computer without turning the XP firewall off....any help? thanks, cody o

Attached Files:

2. FeTaLDaMagE

FeTaLDaMagE TS Rookie Posts: 53

I thought that you really dont need fire wall if you use a router because of the of the nat system on the routers firewall? Did I miss somthing I should know about?
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

It's still good idea to run software firewall although XP firewall is not something anyone should ever rely on.
  4. Greeno

Greeno TS Rookie Posts: 394

Agreed with Nodsu, PS...thats the worst windows colour theme ever man ;]
  5. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

Save yourself some headaches and shutoff the XP firewall.Grab another copy of Zonealarm and put it on the other machine.
    Zonealarm will set up a local& WAN protection levels and you use the XP networking wizard to set up sharing protocols
  6. ovrtn5

ovrtn5 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I think I will just put ZoneAlarm on it....thanks for the help! cody o
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.