XP Freezes During Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey--I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. I've recently gotten a new system (built myself) which consists of the following:

SOYO P4X400 Dragon Lite MOBO
512MB RAM
Intel P4 2.4GHz Processor
40GB Maxtor HDD
ATI Radeon 9250 128MB Graphics Card

My problem is that after setting everything up, I have not been able to reinstall Windows XP Pro. The HDD that I'm using is from my old computer and had Mandrake Linux and Windows XP Pro partitioned separately. However, I tried to completely format it (in all options: FAT32/Quick and NTFS/Quick) and it always freezes when it gets to the "Creating list of files to be copied" part. What gets me is that after trying and trying to install Windows XP and failing, I installed Mandrake Linux and it worked perfectly fine. Being the curious sort, I reformatted and installed Win 98SE--and that too worked fine. So, I did a thorough scan disk of my hard drive when I was in 98 and it said there were no errors reported. I then tried to upgrade 98 to XP and it freezes during the "preparing installation" process. Also, I tried the "replace OS" installation and that froze during the installation as well.

I'm going crazy over this. I've purched a 200GB hdd but that won't arrive here until next week (so I'll be able to see if that helps). This wouldn't really be a big problem except that for some reason I can't use the Internet when I'm on Linux or 98 on my computer. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my onboard LAN.. .

Err...anyway... I'm awaiting help. Thank you!!

--Kim

could be caused by a variety of things. Does you memory match exactly what the MB manufactuer says is an acceptable vendor?

I had the same problem with an ASUS motherbaord. I gave up because 1 of my mem sticks wasn't compatible. I later bought another MB from Microstar that worked.

Yeah--the manufacturer recommends Kingston RAM, which is what I'm using. I've even tried all three RAM slots and haven't had any luck.

--Kim

Internet

I had the same problem on my computer. What you have to do is do Ctrl+Alt+Delete to see your programs. Some of them mess up your computer. Check if you have these programs on there. If you do, select them and press end task. Eventually get rid of them

Salm
Loadqm
Optimize
Atitask
Aticwd32
Iowatch
Imgicon

Go to a public place with computers that have internet and go to google and type in Task List. Some websites will have lists of all the programs and then tell you if you should keep them or delete them.

Revere

Check out my post, "Having XP installation problems . . ."

This "cure" is for the Windows Setup phase, which I think you are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back