XP goes slow with modem dial in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I have a Samsung Laptop running XP. It works great for internet access when at home where I have a wireless router. It also works great in the office on the LAN.

The problem comes when I use the internal modem and a normal phone line for accessing the internet. The system goes very slow when I am dialled into the ISP. It acts like it is waiting for a response from the Internet. It happens both with IE and Netscape mail. The mouse pointer will not move for a few seconds. It makes the system very hard to use.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

what you are describing is typical behavior of a interanl dial up modem. it generally only last for a few seconds.

When you say that it is normal, do you mean the time the system tends to hang once you have connected with a modem. The problem I have keeps causing problems all the time connected. It gets that bad that the system becomes almost un-useable.
Thanks richard

well that is not normal. in that case I would suspect a driver problem. XP tends to install generic modem drivers rather than the specific modem driver. go to either the notebooks manufacurer site or the modem manufactuer's site and get the latest driver for XP that is available.

also when you connect wireless I assume you are using a PCMIA card? are youleaving it in the slot when you are connecting thru dial up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back