Xp home boot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an xp home machine that has problems so I have imaged the drive, the problems it is experiencing are:
safe mode boot shows last driver in the list of things loading as "sr.sys" and never loads anything past it. so basicall it does not work.

no other boot options will function, if I try to boot normally all I see is a blank screen- no color, and the disk activity stops. I have let it sit for hours hoping that something would happen.... nothing ever does.

I have performed a repair install and after the first reboot it never comes back to the final steps to finish the install.

I have performed a second os install to a different windows folder- and it works just fine.

I have performed a fixboot, and a fixmbr- multiple times and still nothing makes the original os load.

I have ran chkdsk /r on the drive, and I have used spinrite to check the drive over- no errors with spinrite, but errors with chkdsk, it claims it repaired.

any suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried swapping out the ram, I have run the machine with 256mb in either slot so all combinations of ram and position have been tried. remember- the computer can boot up normally if I select the new windows2 folder that I installed the OS in. it just won't boot up in the original windows folder.

Under the circumstances I would consider a wipe and reinstall of Windows. There is obviously something bitter and twisted in there!

it sounds as if your old windows installation is corrupted. usually a repair would fix this but seeing as it hasnt your only choice is to format and reinstall. i would suggest copying all the data you want to keep onto another drive or disks so you'll at least be able continue your work later on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back