XP Home Page File Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

MISHA8725

So I ran a repair on an XP Home Edition computer and when it was finished during start up it had a message about the page file...so I went in to system properties and increased the size a little bit. Nothing really out of the norm. But then I restarted again and read the error message closer "Page file is too small..." I tried to create an empty page file and it erased it. I can't get it to create, or adjust size...I'm at a loss as of what to do. Please help!

reset to allow Windows to manage the pagefile, reboot, then go back and set it to a fixed size

if this doesn't work

Start> Run> type regedt32

Go down this path
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> SYSTEM> CURRENTCONTROLSET> CONTROL> SESSION MANAGER> MEMORY MANAGER FOLDER

In the right pane - double click paging files

Check if you have C:\PAGEFILE.SYS

Change it to C:\WINDOWS\PAGEFILES.SYS

you may have to restart > then you should be able to change it through the performance settings

Did that, didn't work. Any other ideas? By the way, thank you for replying to my post. TechSpot used to be the place I came to for answers but lately nobody replied or suggests anything anymore.

Do you have multiple hard drives?

and just to be sure this is what you tried

‘System Properties’ page> ‘Advanced’ tab> select ‘Settings’ under ‘Performance> ‘Advanced’ tab> ‘Virtual memory settings’. Click ‘Change’.

In the next window that opens, you can select the drive on which you want the page file to reside; by default, the page file resides on the C: drive. You can also see the page file size. To change it, click on ‘Custom Size’ and then key in the initial and maximum sizes

Blind Dragon said:
Do you have multiple hard drives?

and just to be sure this is what you tried

‘System Properties’ page> ‘Advanced’ tab> select ‘Settings’ under ‘Performance> ‘Advanced’ tab> ‘Virtual memory settings’. Click ‘Change’.

In the next window that opens, you can select the drive on which you want the page file to reside; by default, the page file resides on the C: drive. You can also see the page file size. To change it, click on ‘Custom Size’ and then key in the initial and maximum sizes
After all that ,don't forget to click on "Set".

mickzer.

I feel stupid now, I just did this not that long ago

1. Start -> run -> regedt32.exe (not regedit.exe)
2. Go to ->

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

3. Double-click PagingFiles. The entry will appear as

C:\pagefile.sys 1536 1536

The first value is the location; the second is the minimum size; and the third is the maximum size.

4. Change the values to what you want them to be
5. Click OK
6. Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back