TechSpot

XP home sp1 install on start up?

By sasmango
Sep 1, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hey all,
    i am working on 2 computers that have the same problem.
    1. upon starting the cpu, screen goes to list showing harddrive /cd drive /floppy etc.
    2. it wont show the harddrive....says cannot find harddrive 0
    3.but yet it does show windows xp home start up screen loading.
    4. it goes to a message: windows is restarting........
    5. it shows f1 to continue and press f2 for set up.
    6. it loops this way always. no matter how i set start up order/ have checked cmos/bios settings /battery on mobo/jumper on hdd is master/
    etc.
    HERE IS THE funny part.
    1. i put the hdd on my test computer, and as SLAVE, I then look to the volume to see if it is full. ITS a 20 geg with 17gegs + left to use..BUT, the pie
    table shows the hdd fully used and no space left.
    2. so i open the hdd to see if any folders are actually on it.. and NO FOLDERS are displayed lol.

THINGS i have tryed are:

1. pulled the power to the hdd and restarted, thus showing settings..but i dont need that
    2. pulled the power cables to the mobo off and removed the battery and tested it , and is good.
    3.scanned the harddrive as a slave and found over 97 adware/viruses/trojans and sucessfuly removed them all. (to no avail).

results:
    STILL LOOPING to the : "windows is in the middle of installing, please insert the windows xp home cd with service pack 1 into the cd slot and finish installing. (then a selection list if i want to go ahead or cancell.

ok i spent all night up to four n the morning...no difference.

QUESTION;
    what do i do now.. i know that the harddrive shows the users name and doc and settings locations where viruses were...so i know the virus scan sees that the harddrive is full of goodies (folders etc.)

So how do i go on getting this thing to start up with out...losing her precious information?

As last effort, i am going to put hdd on again as slave and use www.recuva.com recovery software..it does a pretty good job.

any suggestions.
    "mentally unstable, but still hanging on"! al / sasmango/ omaha, nebraska
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.