XP - IE8 upgrade corrupts desktop image

borate

After IE8 upgrade in XP, the desktop image is the wrong resolution (larger and off-center), while the rest of the system is OK.

Clicking APPLY after changing or resizing the image (stretch/center/tile) does nothing. At next boot the new image does appear - corrupted as described.

Is your PC fully updated to XP SP3? That is the only version currently supported at the moment.

The easiest solution is not to use IE8. Not sure why IE8 should make a change to the video drivers anyway. BTW refering to 'desktop image', can you clarify does this mean the desktop itself, or the IE8 window?

One thing to try would be re-install the video driver. Some parts of the driver may have been incorrectly over-written by the IE8 install, which a reinstall of the video driver would cure. Worth a try.

Is your PC fully updated to XP SP3? That is the only version currently supported at the moment.

You inspired me to install SP3 and all subsequent high-priority updates (with the exception of IE8). And all went splendidly.

The easiest solution is not to use IE8. Not sure why IE8 should make a change to the video drivers anyway. BTW referring to 'desktop image', can you clarify does this mean the desktop itself, or the IE8 window?

Video drivers were not changed. What changed was the position of the desktop image. The IE8 display and all else looks good.

I reinstalled IE8. Same result, but only when icons are hidden. But, unlike before, other images could be chosen via right-clicking the desktop, PROPERTIES|DISPLAY tab. Tested various MS-supplied images; no change. When icons are 'hidden' the desktop image drops lower and to the right.

Per your wise suggestion, I reverted to IE6, and all was well. An apparent bug not worth pursuing. Appreciated your suggestions.

Happy to have helped you. I currently (with XP pro SP3) have IE7 version 7.0.5730.13 installed....but I never use it, unless a website clearly does not support any other browser properly. There are very few like that.

I use Avant browser version 11.7 build 22 (there are later versions, but I don't like them as much) and also Mozilla firefox for those cases where Avant says 'cannot save'. I like to save the html files and images to hard disk a lot for quick reference of scientific articles. Firefox seems to have no problem saving absolutely anything.

Going back to your moving desktop, in days gone by I would immediately assume the monitor refresh rate had been changed, and this would be very obvious on a VDU. Flat-screen monitors rarely, if ever, fail to adapt correctly to different refresh rates, so either yours is an exception (try the auto/reset button) or the problem is something even weirder.

Going back to your moving desktop, in days gone by I would immediately assume the monitor refresh rate had been changed, and this would be very obvious on a VDU. Flat-screen monitors rarely, if ever, fail to adapt correctly to different refresh rates, so either yours is an exception (try the auto/reset button) or the problem is something even weirder.

Yup, that was my first assumption as well, but resolution had not changed for the system as a whole. Some things were never meant to be known... ^_^

Back