first built machine, first xp install on that machine:

Foxconn P45A-S LGA 775
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W PSU
SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870
CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800
1.0TB Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 32MB Cache SATA II Hard Drive
LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X

The brand new xp install fails at 34 minutes during what looks to be the device install. The system gives no error message it simply reboots right back into the setup and proceeds to fail again. My first thought was ram problems so I did a ram check and there were no errors. Now I believe that the problem might be drivers or power to the video card. If its not that it might be a SATA problem...but I have read so little about that I dont really know what that entails.

If it is a driver problem how do I install drivers on a system without ever having it actually boot up, and what order do i to this in because the problem could be in the motherboard drivers or in the video card drivers. I have read a little about flashing a bios for this motherboard, supposedly it has had problems with the bios before.

This is my first machine and I am very new to all this, any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest you pull 1 ram stick and try again.

Fail? Swap sticks and try again.

my darn isp kept hanging my connection!

But i was right. Is the famous 34 minute problem. Looks like CCT provided the link

found that after i wrote this post and tried it, couldnt get it to work
is it possible i have an underlying bios problem?

Great job in providing hardware detail, what flavour of XP? PRO, 64bit, 32bit, SP2?

With boards and changes these days, first thing to do is look for BIOS updates.

Your power supply has a 4pin ATX 12V and your motherboard has an eight pin socket, eventhough I have setup many boards with only the 4pin where the motherboard has 8 without any problems, to narrow things down, see if you can get a 4pin female to 8pin male (EPS12V) adapter, please don't get the 4pin large molex to 8pin EPS12V adapter type.

Your PSU has 2 X 6PIN PCI-E connectors, swap them, in hopes of re-distributing power.

My first attempt would be to check for BIOS update, making sure your DDRII 800MHz is getting 1.9V and applying the timings manually as per Corsair specifications eventhough the Auto settings show the desired values.

You did already try going through setup with only one 2GB module in different sockets, as you stated I believe.

Let us know

EDIT: Is your FSB set to 333MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back