XP install on SATA drive, disk read error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am trying to install XP Pro onto a SATA HDD, specificaly a Hitachi 320gb one. I dont have a floppy drive so I integrated my sata raid drivers with XP (using nLite). I get to the first blue screen and it seems to go ok. It recognizes both of my drives (both sata) however it does not recognized my partition that I made.
I continue anyway and just select the whole drive as there isn't anything on it anyway. It is formatted so XP copies the files to the hard drive and restarts. Then I can never make it passed this part. I get the "disk read error" and have to put my Vista disc in and repair it so it will start up.
In Vista I can see that XP did copy the files correctly to the hard drive. I do not know what to do and have tried everything.

Specs
XFX 680i LT Motherboard
Q6600 @ 2.4 ghz
4 Gb of RAM (800)
EVGA 8600gt
500 gb Western Digital HDD (Vista only)
320 gb Hitachi (Empty and ready for XP)

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Have you tried temporarily reducing the memory to that which XP understands, of less than 3Gb?

What SP version of XP pro is slipstreamed in? At least SP2 is required to install on SATA.

Some motherboards require the SATA channel to be set to emulate IDE before an XP install will work. It can be returned to SATA or raid later.

Can you install XP with only the 320Gb drive connected.

Remember that XP installed after Vista will always make Vista inaccessible, but there are ways to recover that and setting up dual booting in Vista. This topic has been covered before.

Solved the problem. After copying the files to my second hdd and rebooted it was looking for those files on my vista drive. Just switched the order they booted and all was better.

btw, I was using sp3. I understand how to dual boot. I have both xp and vista on my laptop, however they share the same hard drive. I just didn't realize which drive was booting up first, stupid mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back