Xp install troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

a couple weeks ago my computer was having a problem with randomly restarting. it started off as just restarting. then it turned into a problem when i tried to turn my computer on, it would get soo far through the boot, then the monitor would go black for anywhere between 30 secs to 2 mins, over and over. but each time it would get further and further through the boot.

i decided it was probably time for a fresh install of windows xp. when i tried to reinstall windows, it would get to the installation part where it asks for your key etc and the monitor would go black, then restart after anywhere between 30 secs to 2 mins again. ive read a few forums and thought it might have been a harddrive problem, soo i replaced that, ram and power supply. some of the common problems people were having. but the problem still remains.

any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated

Josh

ahh sorry

cpu: amd 64 3000+
motherboard: albatron k8ultra upro
graphics: fx6600
hd: wd 250gig (brand new)
ram: 2x 1gig sticks (brand new)
psu: tt tr2 rx series 550w (brand new)

not sure what else you will need to know. i do realise some of my bits and pieces are pretty old.

i did try another video card but i had the same problem. maybe time to upgrade mb cpu and video card?

try changing your ram ...
if you have more than 2 slots .. try moving them into the free ones
also try 1 stick at a time..
in fact try every RAM combo you can i.e
stick 1 - slot 1 stick 2 - slot 3
stick 1 - slot 2 stick 2 - slot 3
stick 1 - slot 1 stick 2 - slot 4
stick 1 - slot 2 stick 2 - slot 4

you get the idea

Turn off auto restart - right click my computer, properties, left click advanced, and in the startup and recovery section left click the settings button and uncheck the box 'automatically restart'... next time it will blue screen properly, then you make a note of the exact message and post it here.

Is your comp clean and dust/crud free?

Is the cpu heatsink firmly attached?

Are the fans (cpu, psu and gfx) turning when you start up?

i only have 2 ram slots and ive tried doing single sticks in each, swapping them around.

i cant even install windows to get into my computer. i believe its the gui part of the install is when it happens. processor is good. it does have a little dust but ive been told that its nothing to worry about. i think my solution lies in buying a new motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back