XP Installation...Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, can anybody hepl please...

I have two windows XP pro OS, already running in my system, as dual OS.

Suddenly one of OS is not working. That is not the question is about, I am trying to install another copy of OS. I wish to install another copy of XP pro, as dual OS, over-writing the faulty one.

While I tried to install another copy of XP, the setup hangs while "searching for previous versions" and never resumes.

Anybody have an idea how to get it going..?

thanks in advance,

thanga

A dual boot arrangement is usually not a problem, but a number of Windows OS's should not be loaded on the same partition.
Post your partition scheme , then we could see where you could be having a problem.

Thanks for reply. Now this might be a little baffling....

I have six partitions in two hard drives!

I had previously installed XP Pro in both C: in hard drive1 and D hard drive2:

The OS in C: was very slow and D: was not loading I installed one in F: partition which is in Hard drive 1.

I used a bootable XP cd to install XP.

The OS in F: is frequently reboot, hence I tried to overwrite the one in C: drive.

I just tried "new installation" option, for installing the new OS in to C: But it hangs up when it reached the "searching for previous versions of windows".

Hence installed windows 2000 in C: using bootable Disk and tried to "upgrade" it to XP Pro using the XP CD.

Still the installation stops when it reaches the "searching for previous versions of windows".

I tried multiple times, with no avail.

It's a rather long question and might be complicated (atleast for me), but can you tell me how to make it happen?

Because the current XP in F: is rebooting itself now and then and I could not wish to install some industrial application in XP environment.

thanga

I believe you have caused some screwy boot loader issues.The main one I see is that you installed a copy of XP and after installed a copy of 2000.
1. you must load the oldest type of windows FIRST in any Dual boot system. Each time you install a new OS windows must make changes to the bootloader/MBR etc.Although you can install XP or 2000 in any partion, the C: drive(First, Active primary drive) holds the files above.
I suggest you format your C drive and start again to get 1 stable copy of Windows running (If you still intend to Dual boot and you want 20000,load it first)
I think your box has some other issues ,but You need a stable platform before you tackle other items

Thanks for reply

Yes, I think I had to completely revamp my OS installations. However, I'm short of time as it is and managing with the crippled OS.

Any way thanks for advice, I'll post after some work done on this system.

Happy new year!

thanga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back