TechSpot

XP Installation Problem...

By LGraves
Apr 29, 2007
  1. Greetings all,
    New member here, im going to give some background info on whats been going on with my PC.

First off about 2 months ago my motherboard (AOpen AK89 Max) died - was not sending a signal to my monitor. I played around with some things i had read about and could never get it to work. So i ordered a new mobo. This one compared to my old mobo is crap hehe. Im pretty new at dealing with motherboards and installing them so this was my 1st time. New mobo = Biostar k8NHA Grand - I needed a compatible AGP/754 pin

When I first installed this mobo. It posted I played ith the BIOS a bit and it would go into windows fine. However,when trying to load up BF2142 or WoW (I was really foaming at the mouth to play) I would get a BSOD! so I couldnt run any games or exporer.

After about a day of trying to update the drivers I still kept getting BSOD's reguarding devices and drivers and new hardware or software - multiple stop messages.

I then got sick of that and thought it would be a great idea to take a differant approach - I grabbed my windows recovery CD and started to attempt a repair. still getting BSOD's reguarding hardware and what not.

This HDD is about a year old HDD - (Seagate 7200 sata 120gb) - its been working well.

So I have this going on with this older HDD that I been using.

Now im in the process of trying to freshly install XP on a 2nd HDD that I had in my closet totally new. This 2nd HDD is a Maxtor 100gb HDD maybe about 2 years old.

With this 2nd HDD I have gotten all the way down to 19 miutes left to install I think it says its installing start menu items (?) but it then goes to a BSOD
    and says this:

cdfs_file_system (think it said something diferant here also,will try again)

if the problem continues disable any newly installed software/hardware. disable bios memory options such as cache or shadowing (unsure how to do that) press F8 to advanced start up options. then select safe mode -

So im curious at this point what my options are?
    I have been trying to install/repair windows on both of these HDD both leading to BSOD's. I will post more messages that I get.

Appologies for the lengthy post - just trying to be as informative as possible.

System Specs:

AMD athlon 64 3400 CPU
    1 GIG kingston PC3200 HyperX
    Nvidia Gforce 7800 OC GS (AGP)
    K8NHA Grand - Biostar motherboard
    Creative audigy ZS Plat. sound card
    Xion 500 Watt PSU
    Seagtate 7200 120gb HDD (one I been using)
    Maxtor 100GB HDD (one that was stashed away)

Hope this helps,im going out for a few beers to try to get this off my mind for a few hours ;)

I must say that I am very interested in learning new things reguarding computers so this is a learning experiance if anything - even though i have had way to many already.

2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

3. LGraves

LGraves TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 40

How do you know wich typ of RAM you have? (D3208DH1T-5?)
    I do have 2x 512 sticks but thats all that I have. But,im going to try that out - thanks or the reply.

My old mobo used to make a long steady beep - i thought that i heard that might indicate bad ram.

My other question is how would RAM go bad?

4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

RAM does in fact go bad, especially with a failing PSU.

check both and ensure your RAM is of the type recommended by your mobo maker.

5. LGraves

LGraves TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 40

I got windows to installing by taking out 1 stick of RAM. It hangs during the welcome screen but after while it goes to the desktop.

Im currently installing my Graphics drivers and dx9. then my sound card.

Should I install the drivers for my motherboard? I was told that the drivers on the CD are old and out dated.

Also to my knowledge the RAM is compatible - KINGSTON D3208DH1T-5 512M D 400 - to my knowledge this is what im using but how can i be sure?

http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=k8nha grand

So if windows installed using only 1 stick of 512 RAM does that mg it back iean i "luckily" pulled out the bad stick or what? and if its bad I cant plug it back in?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.