xp issue (harddrive swap)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just finished building a new computer the other day, the only thing i used from my old computer was the hard drive, when i go to run mynew machine windows runs, but when i log in it says you must activate this copy of windows. when ihit yes it goes past the log in screen and a window pops up and says "this copy of windows is already activated" i hit ok and it just logs me out. it workedfine on mylast machine. am i just screwed and have to buy a new copy of windows or can i reformat and reenter the product key that came with my oldcomp?

you can reformat and reinstall windows withyuor old product key. (best option) or yu can do a repair install of the existing OS. ( second best option) either way you will have to reactivate windows.

after i do that reactivate by just typing in the oldproduct key, or by calling the microsoft people? i was on the phone with them for three hours yesterday while they just moved me to other departments. the only thing i got out of it was they said because it was installed by hewlett packard i have to talk to them....i called hp and all they said was "i cant trouble shoot that and take itto a technician"

actvate by phone

Not sure if it will work for you, but you could try phone activation. You give the product key and they give you a number to enter to activate. It's done automatically by voice prompt. To get the phone number, choose activate manually, or by phone, or other (I forget what the choices are, but choose the alternative to activating on the net).

Maybe if you get and enter an activation key it will solve the problem.

you cannot legally take the OS from a H.P machine and install it on another machine. the O.S. is licensed for the H.P and microsoft probably wont activate it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back