xp license

By dae_amp_ika_dtp
Sep 13, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. can i buy an extra license for windows xp? i bought a full version that came with service pack two and one xp key. i want to install it on a new computer but i dont want to spend another $100 for an extra cd. how much would the license cost? thanks..
  2. Darth_Terra1

Darth_Terra1 Newcomer, in training Posts: 234

Your licence comes with the CD for home users i think it's only in business where you can buy extra licences so you would have to buy another version of XP to get a license for your new Comp. i beleive that is how it is i'm not 100% sure.
  3. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

I would agree, you're paying for the license not the CD. The CD costs nothing it's the license that's so expensive. I'm sure there are places where you can get a license much cheaper than buying it retail.
  4. Peddant

Peddant Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,644

You can install XP on a new computer,as long as you uninstall it from the old computer,

then tell Microsoft that you have done so.

If you want to install it on both computers,you have to buy another copy of XP.

Volume licences only apply for a minimum of 5 PCs.

They allow you to install without having to activate each time.

There are some grey areas HERE
  5. dae_amp_ika_dtp

dae_amp_ika_dtp Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 99

thanks for your help. i went ahead and ordered a windows xp home oem disc.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.