XP mystery reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
My XP system has started rebooting frequently. It always occurs during either a mouse scroll or double click.

I've disabled automatic reboot, but I still can't get a blue screen for more info.
I've run the Microsoft Mem test (all 11 tests) twice - with no RAM errors.
I replaced my power supply - no help.

I can cause a reboot, though not always, by double clicking a shortcut that requires starting an application to load the file, such as double clicking on a .txt file or a shortcut to an Access database, etc.

The system was stable for months, but both XP and Trend Micro have the automatic update feature selected.

Best clue so far: I have NOT been able to trigger a reboot, nor has one occurred spontaneously, while running XP in "safe mode".

Any ideas?

Additional possibility - has anyone had an experience with a video card going bad and causing the symptoms above?

mystery solved

I believe it was the graphics card after all.

I replaced the old Diamond S3Virge with a new Radeon 9250.

It's been working for an hour, resisting all the sure-fire reboot triggers from before. It was rebooting every 5-10 minutes at the end.

Maybe this will help someone in a similar situation.

Automatic reboot in WinXP

I have the same problem like gharvey76. With the old ATI Video Card, my WinXP always reboot when I open a picture. Replace with new nVidia Video Card, OS sometimes reboot when I surf Web. The problem occurs suddenlly with no message although I do disable automatic restart function.

Should I upgrade BIOS ? Any help ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back