TechSpot

XP NEVER gets to Bootscreen!

By 413-x
Mar 30, 2007
  1. Ok, I've had this problem for the past week. I tried to turn my computer on one Friday and it would seem to start up like usual, except before it gets to the bootscreen, there`s a little flashing white underscore-like thing. It flashes there for maybe 3 or 4 seconds, and then I get nothing as it idles on a blank screen for an eternity. What do I do! Everything is all plugged in properly as far as I can tell, inside and out. I don`t know if this is useful information, but I turned the brightness up on my monitor, and when it`s displaying BIOS messages and whatever else, the screen is bright (as I set it) and when it goes to load the next screen, it goes its darkest black (like, loading the next screen). I point that out because after the little white flashing underscore-like thing, it goes to that black for a second, loads the next screen, which is the one that shows nothing. It`s like it`s at the bootscreen but looks like it freezes before the windows XP logo comes up. Another thing that could be of use is that when I start it up, the computer does its usual single beep, but occasionally, there is a second one later on in the startup. I`m very confused.Oh, and none of the advanced options work either. I just tried something else.. I brought up a boot selection screen, then when I picked the boot device, my fan started up (I guess it never did before). Anyways, my fan starts up and then in about a minute or two, it stops..and everything idles black again. Somebody please help!!!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.