XP not booting, no error just goes in loop

Status
Not open for further replies.
heres the deal:
xp will not boot normally or last known..., it will boot in SM w/networking, i,ve done the following:
scan w/spyware doctor-paid ver. and malware scan
scan w/xpmedic-paid ver.
scan w/mcaffee stinger
scan w/symantec antivirus-online tool
chkdsk

all come up with no errors.

last known config gets to "windows is starting " then goes black and starts reboot again.
start normally just goes in a loop

please help

pete

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but here we go.

I'm pretty sure XP medic is a piece of scam 'computer repair' software which nasty people release to try and get people to buy it, quite often these programs do damage rather than good. I recommend uninstalling this immediately. This may be the cause of your problems, I saw another bogus program - Uniblu Registry Cleaner cause this same issue.

I'm tempted to say the same about Spyware Doctor, but I think it may be ok.

McAfee avert Stinger is a tool to remove specific viruses, so if it's coming back clean, you don't have that virus.

Nortons online scan can only work up to a point.

I'd recommend you get AVG free and do a scan with it. Also download Spybot search and destroy and fix any problems it detects.

Before doing any of the above with AVG or Spybot, try doing a system restore to a time before you installed xpmedic, it's possible your problems will go away. Then make sure you have up to date antivirus and antispyware tools such AVG and Spybot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back