TechSpot

XP okay withnew harware?

By crazyox
Dec 3, 2007
  1. First, I wish to know if Xp is compatible with new 64 bit processors and if using XP will dramatically limit the advantage of upgrading to a new motherboard and cpu. I really don't want to get into a new operating system ie. Vista and I haven't heard much about Xp 64bit edition so I assume it was DOA.

I also wish to know what is this deal about 4 Gig memory limit with XP and if it means must be less than 4 or can be exactly 4. I heard that from 3 to 4 gives no advantage. Thanks in advance.

2. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 1,687

First, I wish to know if Xp is compatible with new 64 bit processors
    You can run a 32 bit version of XP fine with a 64 bit cpu :)

...I haven't heard much about Xp 64bit edition so I assume it was DOA.
    You can get Windows XP Pro x64 and a few of our users have it.

I also wish to know what is this deal about 4 Gig memory limit with XP and if it means must be less than 4 or can be exactly 4. I heard that from 3 to 4 gives no advantage.
    A 32 bit OS can only recognize up to 4gb of memory, which has to include system ram and graphics ram among other things

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

As of today, all PCs are almost completely backwards compatible. You can run DOS on the latest and greatest quad-core machines! 32-bit XP will run just fine.

Yes, the usable RAM will be limited. You would have to get a 64-bit OS or use Windows 2000 or 2003 Server to make good use of more than ~2-3 GB of RAM.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.