XP Pro assigned "I" for the root drive letter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reformatted my drive yesterday and reinstalled software for about 5 hours only to later realize the my root drive was assigned the letter "I".

I have a 4 card reader, one of the slots grabbed the "C" for some reason.

QUESTION: Can I change the root letter without starting ALL over again?

You are better of starting all over again. While installing, unplug the cardreader to prevent Windows from getting confused again.

You could try manually changing the letter as HERE

But as previously mentioned,a reinstall might be better.

No, that's a bad idea. Forcibly changing the system drives letter will screw up your installation (and your day :) )

Yep, possibly reinstallation is the best way.
Of course, you may change the drive letter with the help of a disk manager but most of your programs will be messed up because some boot paths may be incorrect.
So the best way is to reinstall all once again. I assure you that you will be able to do it much more quickly than for the first time ;)

You can't even do it with a disk manager. Windows itself expicitly sets many addresses to the allocated system drive letter during installation. Changing it for the system drive at all results in windows no longer working as it should (if at all).

Strange, that happened to me and i thought i was going to have to stop the installation the other day. But the installation got the BSOD and restarted and the root was set to C when i went back in.

a few

Mictlantecuhtli said:
No. Why would you need to? Do you have applications that require the %systemroot% to be C: ?

I have had a few that would not install. Example: Quickcam 4000 software from the CD; but, I downloaded an updated installer and all went well.

I will leave it as "I" simply because I dont' want to do the deal again...

thanks for your assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back