XP Pro Boot Problem - Recover data?

By Vipersilver
Jul 2, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

When I turned on my computer this morning, it would not boot. I tried "last known good configuration", and "safe mode". They would not work either.

Having fixed a boot problem before by using the XP CD and recovery console, I booted from the XP CD, got to the recovery console and tried to use CHKDSK. CHKDSK would not run either.

Per some suggestions I found through Googling (used wife' computer), I went back to "recovery console" and ran fix boot and fix MBR. The only thing this accomplished was give my HD a volume name of 0000-0000, and it now thinks it is a 10GB HD with no files on it. It is actually a 160GB HD with many files on it.

Is there a way to still access this drive and copy any of my old files? I don't care if I can't salvage the windows OS and continue using this drive, but I really need to get a look at what was on there to see if I can save anything.

I am a bit of a newbie, but i can learn. It scares me a little that the volume name ended up changed after fix boot.

Any suggestions?

THanks for your help!
    Mark
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.