XP Pro network share permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karmashock

I want to allow specific computers in a workgroup to be able to access given folders but not others. I know this can be done through network permissions but it won't allow me to add users on other computers to the host computer.

How do I add user information from client machines to the host machine without setting up a domain controller?

I get to the bit where it allows me to add "locations" but it doesn't show any location but source computer itself.

You cannot do that. There are no machine credentials in a workgroup configuration.

You can only do user-based authentication (create a separate user for every person on the server machine) or use your firewall to block access to Windows shares by IP address (which is totally insecure really).

how would user based authentication work?

For example, lets say each machine had a user account called something like "computer 4" or "computer 5" That being the literal login which would be auto logged into by on each system.

Then on the host system if I created the a user account that was the same as the user accounts on all the different computers each with the same password... then specified in the security settings that 'this LOCAL user should have access'...

that will give the REMOTE user with the SAME user name and password access?

I'm I getting this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back