XP Pro not booting correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, this is going to be hard for me to explain so please bear with me. When I turn on my computer, my screen has several vertical lines and dots running through it. It loads the bios fine, and then XP starts to load. It looks just like it normally does expect for the lines everywhere. Usually between the BIOS load and XP loading the screen will turn black for a moment. Now that screen has the vertical bar character all over the place. The whole screen will be like this:

| | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | |

Then it goes into the XP load which seems to be successful expect that once that screen disappears nothing happens. I really have no idea what is going on with the the lines and dots. They will be in the background behind any words that are the screen. I can run my comp. in safe mode and I tried to reinstall my video drivers and doing a system restore but neither worked. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Looks like your graphics card is artifacting which means its on its way out and needs to be replaced.

...and now its all messed up again. I don't know if it will really show up at all but I am attaching a screenshot of the desktop. Hopefully you can see the areas where there are dark red dots. They show through everything. If I have firefox up, I can still see them, it doesn't make a difference what is on the screen.

nothing is attached so I see nothing u might try again or better is to use a site u can upload to and give a link to the immage.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I agree with Rik, your video card is probably failing. Try another video card and see what happens.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Yeah, I think you've got it. I disabled my card and now I can boot normally. I would gladly just swap my card but I've got a laptop so I have to do a little bit of searching for a card. Hopefully my warranty will cover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back