XP Pro Problems toooo slooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, I'm new here and would like to present a problem. I have a home built computer 1.2 gig AMD with 512 m mem. I have run win 98se for a long time and just upgraded to XP Prof. It tales forever (about 3-4 minutes) for my computer to boot to the welcome screen and another 4-5 minutes to boot all the way to the desktop complete with all the icons and ready to use. Also when going to the internet, it brings up the ie frame but takes several minutes to load the home page. (hgtv.com) I am about ready to uninstall and return to win 98 which was much faster.

I have an 810 lmr motherboard with all in one components. The only items I had a problem with initial setup was 1. labtec video cam (fixed) and soundblaster PCI 128 (still not working)

Sorry for comming right in with a problem, but this thing is driving me nuts.

Also a look at running processes during hang time shows a file named sprite6.exe eating up 98-99% of my processor time.

Any Ideas????

Fetaldamage, quick boot won't help that much in this scenario.

Chuck, have you ran a virus scanner such as Trend's online scanner, Housecall? Have you tried running Spybot S&D or adaware? Or even Hijack this?

A google for sprite6.exe brought up two results, both apparently virus related, but neither had many details or a name of a specific virus.. so the file could still be legit.

If you do a file, find and look for the sprite6.exe, what directory is the file in? It might help us diagnose this for you a little better.

BTW- Welcome to Techspot!

I ran adaware 3 times and cleared all spyware. Ran norton antivirus religously before upgrading to xp pro. I ran google for sprite6 and didn't find anything other than the two files you found. I ran housecall for checking for virus as xp won't run Norton version I had. I found the sprite6 running in the processes window tab next to applications in the ctl alt del task manager. When it gets through running the cpu useage goes to zero and the computer resumes what it should be doing. Puzzles me.

What is the path to the sprite6 file? That might provide some clues as to its function...

The Sprite6.exe is part of a program that the KODAK EasyShare CD put on my system. Its offered by BackWeb Inc. Its the auto-updater for the EasyShare software. I read up a little and apparently many companies use this program for their updaters. A search for backweb on google will give you all the info you're looking for.

[click] Start / Run
[type] msconfig.exe
[press enter]
[click] "Startup" tab

Choose "Disable all" to uncheck all of the boxes. This will disable all the programs listed from starting up with Windows. They will still run fine by manually starting them, however.

Click "Apply" or "OK" and restart your computer.

If the problem does not disappear, it could be a hardware or deeper software problem. IF it works, then that means a third party app loading with Windows is causing your problem.

As per al_manion info, stop that program from loading, and go into the settings of Kodak to check manually for updates, rather than auto-update.

sprite6.exe

The following works great for my Windows XP at home but for work I have an IBM Thinkpad running Windows 2000 w/service pak 4 installed - How do I do the same with this PC? (msconfig.exe does not exist on Windows 2000)

Thank you!

From "Rick"
[click] Start / Run
[type] msconfig.exe
[press enter]
[click] "Startup" tab

Choose "Disable all" to uncheck all of the boxes. This will disable all the programs listed from starting up with Windows. They will still run fine by manually starting them, however.

Click "Apply" or "OK" and restart your computer.

If the problem does not disappear, it could be a hardware or deeper software problem. IF it works, then that means a third party app loading with Windows is causing your problem.

Windows 2000 does not have the MSCONFIG utility.

You might want to try another utility though.. Perhaps like this one:
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

If that solved your XP problem, then it is likely that have software installed that may not be compatible with Windows XP. Perhaps an old virus scanner or system utility.

I think you can down load msconfig from microsoft
I am running 2000 pro sp3 and it (msconfig) is on my machine.
don't know when I put it on .
ther's alot of XP pro stuff you can put on win2000
I myself have found xp to be pretty graphics and that it.
PS check that sound card XP is looking for the drivers and they are probably failing to load.

Originally posted by Samstoned
I think you can down load msconfig from microsoft
I am running 2000 pro sp3 and it (msconfig) is on my machine.
ther's alot of XP pro stuff you can put on win2000

Yes, you can get msconfig for 2k from MS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back