XP Pro Setup Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloo Ice

Hi. I'm setting up XP Pro on one of my computers. Ok, done this a million times, shouldn't be a problem. WELL IT IS! It formats the hd fine, and starts to copy files, and then it goes downhill.

Windows XP Professional Setup
=======================
The file blue_ss.dll was not copied correctly.

The file Setup placed on your hard drive is not a valid Windows XP
system image. If you are installing from a CD, there may be a problem
with the Windows XP CD.

• To retry, press ENTER.

If you continue to recieve this message, contact your
Windows XP supplier or system administrator.

• To skip this file, press ESC.

CAUTION: If you skip this file, Setup may not complete
and Windows XP may not work properly.

• To quit Setup, press F3.

Enter=Retry ESC=Skip Files F3=Quit

I've tried 3 different discs, 2 different disc drives, and keep getting this error. It's not always the same file though. I'm re-installing XP because I had an install, about 15 days old that just kinda starting crashing miserably and had a lot of problems. It would BSOD at least daily, blaming a driver, and programs and services would crash constantly.

My setup:
Gigabyte GA-K8NS
AMD Athlon 64 2800+
eVGA e-GeForce FX 5500 256MB
PQI 512MB DDR 400
Seagate 40gb STA340810A
Lite-On JLMS-HD1665
OptoRite CD-RW CW5202
ATI TV Wonder VE
IOFLEX-FW4
Real PC Power 550W
El-cheapo floppy drive

XP Service Pack 1 is the CD. Is my hard drive going out? I've had a few lost and corrupt files in the past few weeks, and it's been acting strangly. The other night I got a fresh install of XP and it BSOD'd and blamed it on a driver. Any ideas? All help is appreciated.

lol**.."valid"..as in true power output....Pwr Supplys have a way of dieing and causing all kind of weird "****"...its just a hunch from here...but i,d change it out.............bad power manifests itself it in all kinds of errors and such..makes you think its Ram, or mobo, or , or...;)

I hope it's not that. I don't want to buy anything else....just spent a ton on this. I'll swap it out with a different one tomorrow and post back.

Btw, are you the same triplate from annoyances.org a long time ago?

I was there a long time ago, under a different name, but I don't remember what name it was. Anyway, this was an odd situation. I haven't had time to mess with this until yesterday, so I thought what the heck, it'd been a good day, so I started it up and ran setup. Ran fine, with NO problems. It setup and ran fine all night [except for that 12gb of lost files] and all day today, absolutley no problems. And I installed with the first CD I started with, the one with a scratch on it.

Forgot to mention I didn't try the power supply swapping. Hadn't messed with it.

what's this 12G lost files?

Your problem suddenly going away is typical of a fading power supply, OR a fading hard drive. Having a lot of lost files points neither way really, except that you have a very corrupt file system. If I were in your position, I would buy a new power pack (they're cheap) just because it is as likely to be that as the HD, and then I would reformat the HD and re-install. Any problems from that point onward would implicate the HD more and more.....

Aye, I ramble, and don't string sentences correctly. I meant that everything that night went smoothly. Except, for the 12gb of lost files, but I failed to mention that those were on another computer, and partially my fault. I'd suspect the problem would be the hard drive, because it's about 5 years old, where the power supply is about 5 months old. I have a spare power supply, and another system backing up files, so I guess I'll be ok. Thanks for your help!

If power corrupts, then absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Bloo,

I have just spent the last week with exactly this problem... I even went to the extend of replacing both motherboard and CPU, swapping in and out with RAM modules, CD/ DVD drives, graphics card, floppy drive(!), cables, running memtest86 on all my RAM, running different FSB and memory speed, using more than one XP setup CD, holding my breath, closing my eyes and praying. No joy... but the process did mean that I eliminated just about everything except the hard drive and the power supply.

Almost out of desparation, I had noted in a thread elsewhere (a modding community) were discussing tweaking the power and the tolerance that the RAM chips could manage. So I up'd the voltage (through the BIOS) to the DDR RAM only, same problem but less often. Up'd the voltage for all component by +5% and it's working. Still got the problem once during setup, but hit retry and it sailed through. No issues so far, fingers crossed.

Although there is an obvious risk associated with increasing the power, if you choose to take it, it seems to solve this issue.

Terminus
Everything in your post points to a lousy PSU.
Probably a cheap one that came with the case, or a similar cheapo like Bloo Ices "550w" piece of scrapmetal. Weigh that PSU, if under 1.9 KG/4 lbs., throw it away.

I think you might be right!

real...

You could be right, it's supposed to be a 450W box so should have plenty in it but if it's duff that'd be a good reason for the problem. Let's just say that I'm not going to leave the thing running unattended!

T

Mine just kinda resolved itself. However, I am having a lot of problems related to ram. I get frequent BSODs, and the error report thing says that the ram is bad, but I've ran several checkers, all come out clean. I don't have the money to get some new ram, so this will have to do.

Bloo Ice said:
The file ****.*** was not copied correctly.

The file Setup placed on your hard drive is not a valid Windows XP
system image. If you are installing from a CD, there may be a problem
with the Windows XP CD.

• To retry, press ENTER.

If you continue to recieve this message, contact your
Windows XP supplier or system administrator.

• To skip this file, press ESC.

CAUTION: If you skip this file, Setup may not complete
and Windows XP may not work properly.

• To quit Setup, press F3.

Enter=Retry ESC=Skip Files F3=Quit

Common symptom of a damaged CD (You have ruled this out), failing CD-ROM, or failing hard drive. I recommend you test your drive using the appropritate utility. https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

Not a valid Windows Xp system image

I know this thread is a bit outdated but this problem happened for me at work yesterday. Funny thing is, it happened on two PC's in two different parts of the building at the exact same time. Working at a repair facility I was lucky enough to be able to change out every single piece of hardware I had, slowly testing each piece. But not everyone has multiples of every single piece of hardware they have in their system immediately at their disposal. I know lots of threads and googling will say your CD is bad, your CD Rom is bad, change the memory, the power supply, IDE cables, HDD etc etc. And yes I went through that same route, starting with IDE's and CD's and working my way up to the bigger pieces. A complete hardware change, new MOBO with all new components produced the same results.

My end all solution was very simple and might save others lots of time diagnosing hardware fails that aren't there. Re-seat your CPU and make sure your fan assembly is making good contact, and make sure you apply some new Thermal Grease to the CPU before your next install attempt. Simply enough, my CPU's were overheating; and 10 seconds of my time and a dab of thermal grease solved all my problems.

a little thermal grease

for f*&^%'s sake - i have spent HOURS online with microsoft tech support - its like they don't listen -I have both xp home and pro, neither worked.

they have sent me a new cd, same problem - bought a new power supply, new vcard, new RAM, etc.

Now i will go get a little thermal grease. THANK YOU!

Sorry to say but do not even listen to khakisheeps solution

I am sorry so say this and it may have worked for khakisheep. do not even try his solution, exp those who are not experts. touching the cpu does not make sense.

The problem is simple. one of your ram modules have spoilt due to age. This cause erroneous reading and this this problem. 2secs job it is. try only one stick and check. it will work, if not try the other one. all all of them fail - it means that u need new ram.

this will work for sure and do not grease the cpu in this case. sorry I am so late in responding bcoz I only got this problem the day I am replying here. things installed fine

Memory for me too...

I - like sixtyfourmb -ended up testing with one memory stick and then the next and found one 1gb stick to be bad. Using only the other stick everything loaded fine.

I also had tested hdd and cdrom drive - a couple different cds and cables. I started thinking the controller on the mobo had gone bad but sixtyfourmb nailed it. Puting in a new Power Suppy didn't help and bumping the voltage through BIOS didn't do anything either.

Look for a bad memory stick.

ksrochester

I am having the SAme problem but i choose to skip the file and then the next file would would say the same. i kept hitting skip file but every file after that would say the same till it got to a certain file. *****.exe and it would go to a blue screen and tell me to restart the cpu i've been trying to fix this problem for a couple months now and nothing has worked. I formats perfectly then F's up in the coping files part. IF there are ANY other suggestions plz let me know

Not a Lover of Two Different Type Memory Sticks

Win XP Doesn't like two different types of memory sticks so you want to make sure you have two of the same if there are two sticks stuck on the mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back